View Full Version : How to hard reset your Pocket PC 2002

Jason Dunn
04-03-2002, 08:18 AM
I posted this question a few months ago, but with the hard drive crash, I don't have your answers any longer. So here it is again: I need to update <a href="http://www.microsoft.com/mobile/pocketpc/tips/reset.asp">this tip on PocketPC.com</a>, but I don't have every Pocket PC on the market and I need your help to fill in the blanks.<br /><br />I have the HP 565 and iPAQ 3800 series, so I can look them up in the manuals. But what I need is soft and hard reset information on the Toshiba Genio, Casio E-200, and any other major Pocket PCs that I'm missing and are currently shipping. Thanks for any help you can provide - please respond in the thread vs. emailing me privately.

eschouten
04-03-2002, 10:14 AM
From the E-200 Manual (available online at casio.com):

Resetting the Unit
“Reset” is similar to a computer reboot. Performing a reset deletes any data that is in the process of being input or edited, without yet being saved. Data stored in memory and all settings, however, are retained.
Perform the reset operation whenever the unit fails to operate correctly due to operational error or some other abnormality. Any of the following symptoms indicate that reset is required.
• If the unit does not respond when you tap the screen or press a button
• If the icon that indicates a procedure is in progress remains on the display for a long time
Important
We strongly recommend that you back up the data in CASSIOPEIA memory, if possible, before performing a reset. Normally the reboot-type reset does not delete data in CASSIOPEIA memory. If corrupted data is discovered, however, all data stored in
memory will be deleted. Not matter what type of computing device you are using, it is always a good idea to back up memory contents periodically to protect against unexpected loss of data.

Performing a Reset
1. Use the stylus to press the reset button.
• The unit performs a reset followed by a memory check operation.
If no data error is found, the following two screens appear on the display in succession.
• Startup screen
• Today screen
2. Normal unit operation is possible after the desktop appears.
• Memory data and settings are retained when you reset the Pocket PC.

Memory Error Message
If the memory check operation that the unit performs when the reset button is pressed detects a data error, the following message appears on the screen instead of the startup
screen.

“A problem with memory contents has been found. Press [Action] to continue with
the reset procedure, which restores normal system operation.
Note that if the system determines that user memory cannot be repaired, it will delete all user data currently in memory.

See the User’s Guide for details about initializing memory.”
This message indicates that the memory error is fatal and so recovery is impossible.
Press the [Action] control to execute a full reset (memory initialize), which deletes all
data stored in memory.
• Pressing the [Action] control should display the Startup screen followed by the touch
screen calibration screen. The remainder of this procedure is identical to the Initial
Setup described in the Quick Start Guide. Perform the steps of the Initial Setup
procedure.
• If pressing the [Action] control returns to the desktop without displaying the startup
screen first, see the following explanation for the procedure you need to follow.

What to do if the startup screen does not appear when you press the
[Action] control
Even though the desktop appears when you press the [Action] control, there is still a data error in memory and you have to perform a full reset (memory initialize). Before you do, however, there is the chance that some of the data in memory can be recalled and even transferred to a computer. Try recalling the data you need before performing the procedure described on the next page to perform a full reset.

Important
Do not use the ActiveSync backup function to back up data to a computer when you suspect a data error. Doing so may also include the corrupted data that is causing your problem, which means the problem will reappear when you restore the data.

Full Reset (Memory Initialize)
Full reset (memory initialize) deletes all data, and resets all unit parameters to their
initial defaults.
The following are conditions when you should perform a full reset.
• When you want to delete all memory data and return unit settings to their factory
defaults
• When you forget your password and need to clear it
• When a data error causes operational problems
• Appearance of the message: “A problem with memory contents has been found...”
Performing a Full Reset
Important
• The following procedure deletes all data in memory. Be sure that data is backed up or
that you no longer need it before performing the following procedure.
• If there is a Storage card in the CASSIOPEIA’s slot, remove the card before
performing the full reset.
1.Make sure that unit power is turned on.
2. While holding down the power button, use the stylus to hold down the reset button
for about two seconds.
• This causes the following message to appear on the display screen.
“Proceeding with this operation initializes memory. Press [Action] to proceed or
[Record] to cancel.”
3. Press the [Action] control.
• This causes the following message to appear on the display screen.
“Proceeding with this operation deletes all data stored in memory. Press [Action]
to proceed or [Record] to cancel.”
4. Press the [Action] control again.
• This starts the full reset operation, which deletes all data in memory.
• Pressing the [Action] control should display the Startup screen followed by the touch
screen calibration screen. The remainder of this procedure is identical to the Initial
Setup described in the Quick Start Guide. Perform the steps of the Initial Setup
procedure.
You can abort the full reset operation while the messages in steps 2 and 3 are on the
display by pressing the Voice Recorder.

Keep up the good work !
Eric Schouten

Mediatone.com

schwuk
04-03-2002, 01:02 PM
Soft reset is carried out by a recessed button on the left hand side of the unit. It can be pressed with the stylus tip or a paper clip.

Hard reset is carried out by a battery switch similar to the original Compaq iPAQs. The switch is on the left side of the bottom of the unit, and to be able to move it, you have to move a small catch recessed inside the creadle groove on the bottom of the left side. Lift the catch with the stylus tip, and move the switch with your fingernail.

oguime
04-03-2002, 02:03 PM
Jason,

Besides using the specific method to hard reset each machine, the Task Switcher from Phillipe Majerus (PHM Task Manager, available at www.phm.lu) can also perform a soft or hard reset.