View Full Version : Impulsesoft delivers Bluetooth audio support for Pocket PCs

Jason Dunn
04-02-2002, 06:23 PM
<a href="http://www.impulsesoft.com/HomePage/pressroom/pressroom33.htm">http://www.impulsesoft.com/HomePage/pressroom/pressroom33.htm</a><br /><br />Being the Bluetooth neophyte that I am, I'm not sure what the full implications of this are, but it sounds like a step in the right direction - I don't know that any of the Pocket PC Bluetooth products I've seen support audio, which means using wireless headphones is out. This may solve that.<br /><br />"Impulsesoft Pvt. Ltd. a leading short-range wireless solutions provider today announced the release of their Bluetooth™ Protocol Stack for Pocket PC, BlueCE™ with support for audio applications. BlueCE™ enables any Pocket PC based handheld device to transfer audio as well as data with other Bluetooth™ devices like headsets and mobile phones. The first available stack with audio support for Pocket PC, BlueCE™ helps device manufacturers to bring wireless voice and data capability to their PDAs and hand held devices.<br /><br />With the convergence of data and voice-based services, device manufacturers are combining the best of personal digital assistants with a mobile phone. BlueCE™ will help these PDA – Phone combo devices add Bluetooth™ wireless capability to exchange data with other devices, to browse the internet and check email and to connect to any Bluetooth™ headset to stream music files. It is a complete off the shelf product, which can add Bluetooth™ functionality to any Pocket PC based product in the market."

Master O'Mayhem
04-02-2002, 06:51 PM
jason, the cool thing that this adds is the headset profile. This should enable you to use a BT enabled headset with a Pocket PC.

Will T Smith
04-02-2002, 07:07 PM
A headset profile will make "voice command" practical on PocketPC. One could drive the device hands free.

Hopefully, it will support a wireless stereo headset as well. No wires inbetween you and your MP3 enabled pocketPC device. Very cool.

Bluetooth is coming in a BIG way. 802.11b and Bluetooth are NOT competitors. The same way that large pickup trucks and SUVs are NOT competitors.

I am hopeful that the hosts of ignorant analysts will STOP talking about this non-existent standards war between Bluetooth and 802.11b. The sooner they do, the sooner that Bluetooth will enjoy the inevitable, widespread adoption at cheap, cheap, cheap prices.

jim s
04-02-2002, 07:33 PM
The sooner they do, the sooner that Bluetooth will enjoy the inevitable, widespread adoption at cheap, cheap, cheap prices.

I, for one, can hardly wait for the cheap, cheap, cheap part. :wink:

griffin911
04-02-2002, 08:39 PM
I don't have all the info but I know that both Motorola and Ericsson (Mobile phones) have bluetooth headsets. How they work? I have no idea.

Inventor
04-02-2002, 08:40 PM
This is a good step - Streaming audio.

One of the entries in 'NewSpeak.zip' is a bluetooth box that you connect to your TV set. Then you can send audio/video from your PocketPC to your TV set via bluetooth. You would only need a box (or a Microsoft Picture Viewer with bluetooth) connected to your TV set.

Then you could read the display of your PocketPC computer on your TV.

Some Uses:
Streaming Videos, Sharing Pictures (in another persons home also), Reading eBooks on the TV, News Selection, Projection displayer, Multiplayer Games, Music player, TV Voting, Kids Tutor, etc. its endless.

st63z
04-02-2002, 09:10 PM
I read a recent good review of Mot's BT headset (I think I read it was developed by the Jabra unit of GN Netcom?).

Anyways, it'd be cool to have an small over-the-ear BT earset with no big honky boom microphone (it can be one of those really short boom designs or use one of those technologies to pick up your voice from your jawbone vibration). Then you can optionally buy/use a second separate over-the-ear unit for your other ear (which contain no microphone). When you use both units, all the linked BT devices are intelligent enough to recognize this and enable stereo audio output to both units, and switch back to mono if you remove one of the earset units...

I'm sure many people have already thought of this (and hopefully begin designing it)?

sweetpete
04-02-2002, 09:16 PM
Anyways, it'd be cool to have an small over-the-ear BT earset with no big honky boom microphone (it can be one of those really short boom designs or use one of those technologies to pick up your voice from your jawbone vibration).

There is one coming to the market shortly ... check out Nextlinks Bluespoon headset at http://www.netxtlink.to/default.asp?pID=6&lang_id=uk

Ben
04-02-2002, 10:25 PM
Does this mean I should be able to listen to mp3s playing on my ipaq using my ericsson bluetooth headset???

I hope so!

kagayaki1
04-03-2002, 12:19 AM
Anyways, it'd be cool to have an small over-the-ear BT earset with no big honky boom microphone (it can be one of those really short boom designs or use one of those technologies to pick up your voice from your jawbone vibration).

There is one coming to the market shortly ... check out Nextlinks Bluespoon headset at http://www.netxtlink.to/default.asp?pID=6&lang_id=uk

typo on this URL. The acutal link is http://www.nextlink.to/default.asp?pID=6&lang_id=uk

One "x", big difference.