View Full Version : The 101 Dumbest Moments in Business

Jason Dunn
03-21-2002, 04:24 AM
<a href="http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/print/0,1643,38604,00.html">http://www.business2.com/articles/mag/print/0,1643,38604,00.html</a><br /><br />Looking for a few chuckles? Give this article a read - here are two of my favourites...<br /><br />#13: "Having earned the enmity of the five major record labels as CEO of MP3.com, Michael Robertson takes on Microsoft by launching Lindows, a Linux-based operating system that runs Windows programs. Robertson says he isn't afraid of going up against the world's most notoriously competitive company. "There were five major record labels, and there's only one Microsoft," he says. "That's an 80 percent reduction." <br /><br />#95: "Having lured Mariah Carey with a $21 million signing bonus and an $80 million, five-album recording contract, EMI decides, after only one album, to pay her $28 million to go away. The net result: EMI pays $49 million for the soundtrack to Glitter."

Chubbergott
03-21-2002, 12:15 PM
Nothing like standing in the headlights of an oncoming vehicle eh?

Though, what I found interesting also was

#7. Last May, Citizens Against Government Waste, a group that received funding from Microsoft (MSFT ), is caught simulating a "grassroots" campaign to get state attorneys general to drop their antitrust suit against the software giant. One detail that gives the scheme away: Some of the letters supporting Microsoft are from people who have long since died.

16. "No one will deny that Sony is a world-class hardware company, and no one would deny that Microsoft is a world-class software company. Nintendo aspires to be neither one of those things." -- Peter Main, a Nintendo marketing executive, to the San Francisco Chronicle

:lol: And I think I'll need a shrink after seeing #9!

Brad Adrian
03-21-2002, 03:50 PM
Thanks, Jason, for not mentioning the one about the company I work for!

Sven Johannsen
03-21-2002, 04:12 PM
#7. Last May, Citizens Against Government Waste, a group that received funding from Microsoft (MSFT ), is caught simulating a "grassroots" campaign to get state attorneys general to drop their antitrust suit against the software giant. One detail that gives the scheme away: Some of the letters supporting Microsoft are from people who have long since died.

Hey, dead people have always taken an active interest in politics. Their voting record is exemplary. :D