View Full Version : Integrated versus accessory Wireless

Tycho Morgan
03-20-2002, 06:14 AM
I find that I feel guilty if I don't post at least one thing a day, so here's what's been floating on my mind today.<br /><br />It seems there's this big movement in the mobile tech sector to integrate wireless and PDAs: for example, the Handspring Treo, Pocket PC Phone Edition, the whole Nokia-Symbian venture, the smart phone, and so forth. While I agree that these are cool devices, and some of them have really great ideas, there are some serious problems with this. <br /><br />The biggest issue I have with integrated wireless is that it really ties you into one wireless network, with a limited number of carriers, and at least in America, a limited number of places in which to use your device. These integrated solutions aren't like cell phones: they are at least 300 dollars per unit, and possibly as much as double that depending on the device in question, as compared to cell phones for which consumers generally pay no more than 150USD, and usually a good deal less. <br /><br />What happens if you have to move to an area that uses a different kind of network? What happens if the company folds? What happens when you need to get a new PDA? Not a problem with separate devices. <br /><br />In my mind an integrated device restricts your options, rather than add to them. Why? Because instead of having a PDA with a wireless card or sleeve that can be changed as your needs and usage patterns change, you have a device that is only able to provide one wide area wireless function, and if you want to provide a different function you have to buy a whole new device. In short, integrated wireless is inflexible, and in the world of PDAs flexibility is of the utmost importance.

Terry
03-20-2002, 07:01 AM
The idea of an integrated device is a mixed blessing. I have service from OmniSky, which has never worked well, and uses a Jornada Minstrel modem. When I purchased a new Jornada, the Minstrel didn't fit and Omnisky (now Earthlink) doesn't support PPC 2002. Minstrel could supply an ARM compiled driver (the modem is noticed by the Jornada as a serial device after installing the Jornada pocket keyboard...but doesn't work) and Earthlink says they'll have support in April. So first I had wireless, now I don't.

I still carry a pager, even though my digital cell phone text pages...the pager is more reliable, doesn't need recharging every couple of days, and pages come through in minutes rather than hours.

The idea of carrying a PDA, pager, and cell phone is unbearble, so my PDA is often relegated to my briefcase or backpack. So here comes the all-in-one...

An integrated device will become almost disposable, with us each changing device, service provider, etc. every year or two. Plus, the larger market will drive the price down (just look at how cellular phone prices have come down and the popularity of the Blackberry...we have more Blackberries at our office than PPCs or Palms) or at least bundle the device with service. I could easily see spending $120 for a new "cellular PDA" every year and $40 per month rather than $1000 (Jornada + accesories) every two or three years. Consumers will demand better coverage and faster text messaging turn-around, so I think the idea will ultimately become a winner.

DREAMWEAVER
03-20-2002, 09:14 AM
I like the idea of having a seperate phone from my PDA, but using it to dial my phone. Having a phone the size of a pda or bigger is too cumbersome for me.

My preference is to have a T68 on my belt, which I dont touch. Using bluetooth to connect the iPAQ, phone and headset.

Idea being that all I really access is my iPAQ which dials the phone or sends emails, SMS or web browsing. I answer calls on my bluetooth earpiece.

Simple I think

Jason Lee
03-20-2002, 03:28 PM
I think Terry hit the nail right on the head. It is a bit of a pain to carry a cell phone and PPC, especially if you have to carry nine feet of sync/serial data cables to attach the two.
I would love to have a all-in-one device. Though I would probably have to get another PPC eventually because the one in the phone would be out dated.
The problem with things like the GSM/GPRS sleeve for the ipaq or the new sierra wireless card is that you lose your expandability. I want to be able to use other devices and sleeves with my ipaq and not loose my cell phone. Unless you can answer the GSM sleeve with out it being attached to the ipaq, but I doubt that.
That is why maybe I would be better off with Smartphone 2002. I would have the basics I need, IE, MSM Messenger, email... But then again I would still have to carry my ipaq around as well. :D I just can't win...

Speed Racer
03-20-2002, 03:54 PM
I'm really looking forward to all-in-one devices. Currently I tote around my PDA, cell phone, and a few other diabetes specific items (insulin pump and blood glucose meter) every where I go. It is not much of a problem during the winter months because I can stuff everything into my jacket but the bulk of the needed items becomes very noticeable when warmer weather rolls around. The size of the smart phones is very appealing but it just doesn't appear to have the functionality that I need.

Cost for me is really not the main issue. I don't have any qualms about spending money on something that has taken a significant stride forward and has become more useable. How long do you really keep a WindowsCE based PDA? At this point I can't imagine going back to either my Casio E-11 or E-105. With each change of the OS the devices improved to the point where I felt comfortable spending the money to upgrade to a new PDA. I think the same will hold true for the devices that will come out for the next several years.

Jason Lee
03-20-2002, 04:38 PM
yes... But if I tell myself when I buy it that I am going to keep it for a long time and not upgrade next month I feel a little better about spending the money. :D

Work with me on this.... :wink:

dondiego
03-20-2002, 07:36 PM
If its a GSM style network you should have a removable SIM card. This is how you change networks. Some people commonly do this alll the time when going to different countries so they can take advantage of different calling plans.

Integrated wireless should be just as flexible. From the cell phone companies perspective they only know you by your SIM card, not by your particular device you use to access the network...

Chubbergott
03-20-2002, 08:12 PM
I think that integration is a good thing and it is this that convinced me to move on from PPC.

I had a belt clip for my PPC (because I hated the way my jacket slipped one way) and another belt clip for my mobile phone (because I didn't want to put it anywhere near my credit and security access cards).

Oh, how I laughed as people extracted urine out of me for looking like some 60's cop, or for wearing a batman like utility belt. Anyway, it was a pain and as someone else pointed out, all that with a mile of cable on top, was an even bigger pain (since Infra Red was useless in direct sunlight, or when there's a lack of a flat surface for lining up the devices).

So, I moved over to an integrated device (http://www.nokia.com/phones/9210) and it makes all the difference (http://www.twyn-y-berllan.com/n9210/index.htm). Now, if I'm browsing my contacts and see a name I haven't contacted in a while, I can send them an e-mail without having to connect everything up. Heck, I can even send them a photo (of me, if I feel sadistic enough). Also, if someone wants to send me a FAX, I can receive it without having to make sure that my devices are lined up ready for receipt.

There are areas where it lacks in comparison to the PPC, but there are other areas where it benefits and the benefit areas are of more importance to my requirements than the areas where it lacks.

So, in the scheme of things, I approve of such integration. It works well for me and a few others I know.

PS.
IMHO, the M$ Smartphone will do much, much better than the PPC2KPE.

adamz
03-21-2002, 04:31 AM
I can't wait to have a fully integrated wireless pocket PC cell phone communicator thing… with a built in GPS reciever, bluetooth, WiFi, and a boosted IR port for universal remote capabilities.

But seriously, I went out last weekend and I only took my cell phone to see if I could live without the iPAQ for a night. Well, low and behold we got lost. Had I taken the iPAQ, I would've been able to look up our position on Pocket Streets and easily navigate to our intended destination.
When I had the CDPD, I could take just the iPAQ and people could reach me via SMS, which was good because I wouldn't have to talk to anyone. But I've since cancelled that in favor of the GSM/GPRS expansion pack. And since it's GSM I can just switch out the SIM card when I get a new device or if I ever decide to use a stand-alone cell phone again. As for switching services, I wouldn't want to switch to anything that didn't have a chip that I could take out of the phone and put in another. I really dislike how all these american cell phone companies lock a phone for use on only their network. Of course I don't usually go to areas with low GSM coverage and I'm not a heavy cell phone user either, but I'd still rather only carry one device.

Hey, who's going to build a wireless car starter and door lock/security system I can control with my PDA (so I don't have to carry my keys)? Or what about a secure wireless money transfer system (so I don't have to carry my wallet)? :)

Carlos
03-21-2002, 09:11 AM
I think having an integrated device or a Bluetooth phone and BT-enabled PPC is a toss-up. Each has its advantages. Right now I think I would prefer to have an all-in-one device simply so I carry less stuff and have fewer integration/support hassles.

As far as prices, there's no way to do this cheaply. The integrated devices are pricey, but so is buying the devices seperately (if you buy devices with similar capabilities).

I'll jump on the first solution that works and is not a huge compromise. Right now I would have to lose my memory card to get BT on my Jornada. Not acceptable. Then I'd spend another $500 on a T68 anyway.