View Full Version : Those vile spammers!

Jason Dunn
03-18-2002, 08:26 PM
As some of you may have noticed, at least one spammer has pointed a spider at this web site and harvested at least some of the public email addresses. While there are some clever Javascript hacks that can be implemented to help protect the email addresses, the spammer tools can work around them so I don't consider it a real solution.<br /><br />The only real options are to hide your email address on this site or use a temporary email account like Hotmail. If you go into your user profile, you can select "Hide my email address". If people want to communicate with you, they can do so using the private messaging features of this board.<br /><br />I deeply apologize to those of you who are getting spam from posting on this board. I value your contributions to our community a great deal, and it infuriates me that the lowest rung on the ladder of humanity (spammers) are punishing you for it. Please hide your email addresses immediately and use private messaging to communicate with each other. Thank you!

CoffeeKid
03-19-2002, 10:14 AM
Jason, one of the things I did a CoffeeGeek.com was to implement private and public email addresses.

The private one is used for things like

- account verification
- contest winner contact info
- our main way of modifying a users' account (when they request a modification)
- notifications, if they opt in for them (opt out to begin with)

The public one is the one that is displayed on each user's profile page, with the reviews they write, and on their discussion board comments.

Seems to work well, but you always get that typical aol'er who doesn't get the concept once in a while, and needs it explained.

We've been spidered by a few spam bots - actually many. High ranking in google seems to almost guarantee it. But they get nothing except, of course, for my active email addresses and those of our support guys :-(

BevHoward
03-19-2002, 04:52 PM
great... knew I picked the perfect time to register

related subject.. is there any hope that this section will be usable via ppc access?

Jason Dunn
03-19-2002, 05:13 PM
is there any hope that this section will be usable via ppc access?

As long as there is life...there is hope. ;-)

Yes, we're working on something right now. I can't give you a firm timeline, but trust me when I saw it's a top priority.

BevHoward
03-20-2002, 09:35 PM
FWIW, it appears that the default for users who are not logged in is different than for those that are.

One of the reasons that I avoided the comments til now was the need to horizontally scroll simply to read them.

Since registering, the column width is such that only a single scroll to the column is necessary... might be worth looking at the "default" or at least posting a note that it gets better after logging in.