View Full Version : Virtual Keyboard

Tycho Morgan
03-13-2002, 01:43 AM
<a href="http://www.vkb.co.il/">http://www.vkb.co.il/</a> <br /><br />Shay Leibovitz has sent us an email concerning the development of a new virtual keyboard technology that is in development. This keyboard will project a keyboard on to virtually any surface, and allow you to have (at least in theory) a much more portable full sized typing solution. This seems to be a big leap forward and while I eagerly await this solution, I think the device that I read about from Comdex that sensed your finger movements and allowed you a virtual typing experience without the need for a surface, might be a little more suited to people like me who can't always find a way to get to a flat surface.<br /><br />"VKB has developed a highly efficient method for projecting an optical image of a keyboard onto a surface. In addition, VKB has developed a detection method through several proprietary developments for the accurate and reliable detection of user interaction, such as typing or cursor control functions (e.g. mouse or touch-pad controls). VKB has resolved all the technological hurdles required to make a practical virtual interface. Include minimizing the power consumption, minimal component size, simple processing, high accuracy and ease of use. VKB has filed numerous patents on its core technology and related applications."

JonnoB
03-13-2002, 03:52 AM
cool

Registered
03-13-2002, 04:24 AM
WOW ! NOW we're talking.. :D

slalvani
03-13-2002, 08:44 AM
It sounds like this information should have been posted on April 1 :!:

Aceze
03-13-2002, 04:44 PM
I'm extremely skeptical about this technology.... but stranger things have happened - so for now, "I'll believe it when I see it".

Aceze

mmidgley
03-13-2002, 05:36 PM
:arrow: How does one touch-type on a surface where you can't feel the different keys? I think this is a fabulous idea for portable computing, but for the desktop scenarios, I don't see the benefit (except in medical/clean room situations where you aren't typing a 100 page thesis).

m.

Rirath
03-14-2002, 12:44 PM
Sounds far fetched, and the website is quite sad for such a high tech product. I'm with the others, I'll believe it when I can buy it.

As for how to touch type without feeling the keys... I suppose you could always use a pocket knife to carve a small groove under the F and J keys. :twisted:

jlp
03-21-2002, 03:06 AM
not only you can't feel the key, but how does the machine know when you "press" a key? and what about concentrated light of the laser? Yes I know it's not directly aimed at your eyes, but I have a pen/stylus/laser pointer and when I project its light ray within a short distance I get incomodated. On a far away wall, at the black board in classes it's perfectly ok, but not so much around a 1 foot range.

Small Town Man
03-21-2002, 02:06 PM
Someone was able to test this on CeBIT
Here is what he found out:

(sorry, it's in german)

[quote]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Ok, ich BIN aufs Dach gekommen und habe den 'mini'-Stand der Firma aufgetan...

Die virtuelle Tastatur (rotes Licht projeziert eine tastatur auf eine ebene Fläche) ist der HAMMER! Der Prototyp hatte ein engl. Tastaturlayout und war mit einem PC verbunden (dünnes Kabel). So konnte ich in Word etwas tippern.
man kann die Hände frei über der Projektion bewegen - erst wenn irgendein Finger die Oberfläche berührt, dann wird der Impuls ausgelöst. Sogar 10-Finger-Schreiben ist mögliche (allerdings erkennt er dann nicht immer die Leertaste, vermutlich weil die anderen Finger den Daumen verdecken) - auch das Drücken der Shift-Taste zusammen mit einer anderen Taste ist überhaupt kein Problem!

Der Projektor/Empfänger für die Tastatur ist etwas höher als eine Streichholzschachtel, so dick wie 2 Schachteln, ultraleicht und ziemlich simpel (ein Berührungssensor für den Boden - wenn hochgehoben gehat Tastatur aus - spart batterie, und einen Einschalter -> länger drücken wenn Gerät am Boden steht.)

Über die Technik hat man nicht reden wollen vielleicht fehlt noch das copyright?
Man ist wohl in Gesprächen mit großen Herstellern von PocketPCs und Handys... ziel soll es sein, das Gerät (Projektor/empfänger-Einheit) in ein Gerät zu integrieren (also nicht extern).
Wirklich spannend! und scheint Problemlos zu sein - man stelle sich vor: die linke hand hält den iPaq, dieser prozeziert vor sich auf den Schreibtisch eine Tastatur in normaler Größe, die rechte Hand tippert mal schnell einen Namen, Adresse, Termin, ....

Klasse!

nSonic
----------------------------------------------------------------------
[/qoute]
http://www.ppc-welt-community.de/cgi-bin/YaBB.cgi?site=&board=Sonstiges&action=display&num=3749

He says that it work nearly perfect. The only problem was the SPACE key because the thumb is hidden by the other fingers.
They demonstrated everything but they denied talking about the technology. They do not plan to release a stand alone device. They are talking to OEMs to intergrate this technology into their devices (notebooks, PDAs, phones etc.).
This demonstation unit was a little bigger than a matchbox, very light and had a sensor switch for on/off. If you lift the device from the surface it will switch off. To switch it back on, you have to press an ON key for a second or two. It will recognize two keys togehther like SHIFT+A.