View Full Version : Genio Stowaway Keyboard

Tycho Morgan
03-09-2002, 08:02 AM
<a href="http://www.targus.co.jp/kbd/stwyToshiba.html">http://www.targus.co.jp/kbd/stwyToshiba.html</a><br /><br />Dave Conger sent us a link to Targus' Japan site that shows a new Stowaway keyboard for the Toshiba Genio. This doesn't appear to be anything more than a regular Stowaway with a Toshiba connector.<br /><br />It's good that we are starting to see such accessories for the Genio, and I'm sorry that this didn't present itself sooner, because it may have affected my choice of new Pocket PCs. I think it would be even better if we were to see a greater variety of universal accessories. Dreams, I know.

kagayaki1
03-09-2002, 09:26 AM
Dave, you're the man!

Good thing I've been studying Japanese for 7 years as I pursue my minor at college so I can help out with this a little; let's do a little translation (very literal):

A full sized keyboard contained in your pocket. Entering writing compositions into your Genio with your Stowaway is always as comfortable and easy in any environment your laptop would be.

Notebook batteries don't have long battery life, this is a possible solution to this problem for the use of long battery life.

When not in use, it folds up for storing, and it's also very reliable when you can't wait to transport your notebook.

PA862J Stowaway Pocket Keyboard for Toshiba Genio.

Expected in stores: March 23rd, 2002

What I think is most interesting is it specifically says it will be available in stores on March 22nd. No talk of internet sales, etc. Very specifically store fronts. Wonder if Targus will release a US keyboard mapping very shortly afterwards.

Unfortunately, this is a classic example of why I switched from Casio to Compaq, and why I bought a 3870 instead of a E570, which I consider to be a little better design. I had 3 generations of Casio (E-11, E-105, E-125), and I was always frustrated that the latest and greatest in design would come out in Japan first. Example: E-705, which had built in wireless 1 year ago!!!

I now know that the Japanese companies focus on their home market first (which makes sense), but as an American customer, I can't be sitting here wondering when a US company is going to release a US version of a keyboard made for foreign unit. Ironic, isn't it? Dave Conger will recall that Targus' lack of a Stowaway (at the time) for Casio and Toshiba units was one of my first concerns when we heard about the E-200 and Genio. Sorry Toshiba and Casio, your lack of attention to the US market is what's most frustrating, and likely is why I'm on my iPAQ and Stowaway right now typing this thought.(In all fairness, however, Casio has caught my attention as trying to cater more to the US desires with their latest E-200 and its accessories. Also, I believe they're strongly commited to Flash content development using their units. Very interesting press releases at Macromedia).