View Full Version : Holding my breath...

Andy Sjostrom
03-08-2002, 10:17 AM
<a href="http://www.cebit.de/intro_channel_e.htm">http://www.cebit.de/intro_channel_e.htm</a><br /><br />Next week is CeBIT week! CeBIT is HUGE and we all expect a gazillion of annoncements and releases. Competition is fierce. I am super excited as these are the last few moments before the show begins!<br /><br />No need to say that PocketPCThoughts.com is where you'll learn about the coolest Pocket PC news first, is there!? And the coolest news WILL be Pocket PC related!

Rafe
03-08-2002, 02:33 PM
Yep should be good.

More Symbian smartphone (maybe something from Samsung & another look at Sanyo's).

Rafe

Arne Hess
03-08-2002, 02:54 PM
More Symbian smartphone (maybe something from Samsung & another look at Sanyo's).

Symbian? What the hell is Symbian? Again a new code name for Windows CE? :wink: :wink: :wink:

spg
03-08-2002, 03:03 PM

Symbian? What the hell is Symbian? Again a new code name for Windows CE? :wink: :wink: :wink:

lol, must be! :lol:

JMountford
03-08-2002, 04:28 PM
A guy over at SprintPCS told me that Toshiba is releasing a Smartphone with a camera for the CDMA network. I am not sure I beleive him. I am pretty sure that it would not really be Toshiba but an AudioVox phone. I guess someone at CeBit can see. Andy if you are going keep your eyes open!

pdatoon
03-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Any of your guys attending that?
Maybe we can meet and have a drink :)

Jason Dunn
03-08-2002, 05:14 PM
Any of your guys attending that?

Yeah, I know that Ed and myself, Arne Hess, Marlof and hopefully Andy will be attending CeBit on Wednesday of next week. I don't be at the FanFest though. :-(

pdatoon
03-08-2002, 05:19 PM
Hey Jason :)

Yeah you told me you were staying only 1 day, so i can too short to have a fan meeting :)

JohnnyFlash
03-08-2002, 05:31 PM
And the coolest news WILL be Pocket PC related!

Wrong, you are very wrong. This year's CeBIT biggest attractions will be 3G phones -> those which have WCDMA and GSM in one. This CeBIT is the last one before commercial launch of 3G networks in some countries in Europe. Indeed, it is very very special.

I will be in CeBIT 2002 from 16th March too...

Jason Dunn
03-08-2002, 05:49 PM
Wrong, you are very wrong. This year's CeBIT biggest attractions will be 3G phones

Do the words "party pooper" mean anything to you? Sheesh.... :roll:

pdatoon
03-08-2002, 05:59 PM

hehehehe

Rafe
03-08-2002, 05:59 PM

lol, must be! :lol:

LOL! I really hope your not serious... ;)

Still could be good for both. Wish I could be there :)

pdatoon
03-08-2002, 06:00 PM
Hey Rafe, your site rocks :)
You will be attending Symbian dev conf in London?

JohnnyFlash
03-08-2002, 06:01 PM

Sometimes truth must be said, but usually not everybody dares...

If you would have some knowledge
of wireless industry, you would know, Jason,
that I am right.

kagayaki1
03-08-2002, 06:24 PM
&lt;sigh> I'm getting a little tired of the provocation jpzr initiates on this site. Why does jpzr have to be so...COMPETITIVE? Can't he just sit back and for once realize that we all enjoy Pocket PCs (and other related items).

Perhaps a less direct approach would be more appropriate. Next time, try:

"In addition to Pocket PC news being big at CeBIT, I think 3G phones will also be a hot topic... (insert evidence here)"

Also, use words like "I think" or "in my opinion".

You don't have to bash people to get your point across. Stop being so confrontational, please.

JohnnyFlash
03-08-2002, 06:34 PM
Perhaps a less direct approach would be more appropriate. Next time, try:

"In addition to Pocket PC news being big at CeBIT, I think 3G phones will also be a hot topic... (insert evidence here)"

In addition to huge number of phone models with Microsoft's operating systems (1 from Sendo with MS Smartphone, 1 from HP with PocketPC phone edition), there will be very tiny amount (just over 20) of smartphones presented by competitors. Number of 3G phones with Microsoft operating systems will be big: 0, while competitors will present small number (just 7-10 phones) for 3G based on inferior, non-microsoft, technologies.

Jason Dunn
03-08-2002, 06:51 PM
Sometimes truth must be said, but usually not everybody dares...

You want the truth? Ok, here it is.

This is a Pocket PC web site, for people who use and enjoy their Pocket PCs. Every thread you get involved in seems to turn ugly. Your messages are abrasive and atagonistic, and your constant advertising for your site is tiresome.

JohnnyFlash
03-08-2002, 07:12 PM
Every thread you get involved in seems to turn ugly.

No, no, YOU take care that it turns so! I commented on the message - saying SOMETHING NEW - and you attacked me - without brining anything new to the subject - and YOU made it ugly!

And 3G phones are not to the topic? Wake up!

Jason Dunn
03-08-2002, 07:27 PM
I'm going to take this up with JPZR in private conversation. No need for further responses to him on this thread.

JMountford
03-08-2002, 10:38 PM
I want to go to CeBit so bad. Not that I can afford it, but how much does it usually cost to atend out of curiosity.

pdatoon
03-08-2002, 10:53 PM
When i went last year, it was around 30 euros the day pass or less i dont remember.

The most difficult part of cebit is to find a place to stay. Hotel are booked a year in advance :oops:

Kemas
03-09-2002, 08:08 AM
I don't doubt that wirless at CEBIT will be a big deal; it is at every IT conference these days. I don't doubt that 3G will be there; but 2.5G is going to rule the day becuase it is technology that is available today. Only one country in the world has 3G and it doesn't work very well yet. I would think most people there will be more intersted in GPRS, although it is my understanding that CDMA will make a serious showing there just because CEBIT is so big.

Thousands of (3G) handsets have been recalled in Japan and the problems just continue. Futhermore, and this my be North American centric, no one in the states or Canada is going to be using 3G (DATA)anytime soon and it is debateble whether it will ever come to the states at 5 billion US $ to deploy and a debateable usefulness. Verizon is having problems already with 2.5G and users are biting yet with the whole data thing, it is extreamly expensive when you start adding it all together.

Pocket PCs will be extreamly big at CEBIT and many of the stories I have read regarding CEBIT, not just here, have been about announcements regarding new Pocket PC devices and accessories. I am sure other things will be mentioned, tablet PCs, the new WiFi standard, Palm (sorry) and of course the upcoming wide array of convergance devices. I would think that X-Box (see another thread here) would most likely even be in attendance since it just got rolled out in Europe.

Plenty to see and do for sure, but in the end..... those products that have a chance at bringing in money for companies will be the biggest winners of CEBIT.

Jason, only one day? You just flying in and out? That's gotta suck...

Jason Dunn
03-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Jason, only one day? You just flying in and out? That's gotta suck...

Mobius 2002 is Monday/Tuesday, and at $250 US a night for the hotel, I can only afford to stay for one day.