View Full Version : Dale Coffing Comdex notes. . .

lawnman
03-07-2002, 04:51 PM
Has anyone read his Comdex notes dated March 7? While talking about some of the cool stuff he is demoing, he mentions that the HP and Compaq units he is using have been internally upgraded to 128 and 256 RAM respectively. Using a Sierra wireless card on the HP and a GSM/GPRS pack on the bluetooth enabled Ipaq. Is the extra RAM needed to run these apps or is it they just don't run well without that much? I am all for PPC domination, but without misleading the consumers in the process. Wonder if these 2nd party mods have been made disclosed. Thoughts?

Jason Dunn
03-08-2002, 05:19 PM
His RAM upgrades were done by a third party - these are not out of the box units from HP or Compaq. www.times2tech.com - if you use the code "pocketpcthoughts" you can save $20...I think. :-)

lawnman
03-08-2002, 05:22 PM
Yes Jason, I am aware of the business you just shamelessly plugged :wink:

But that really has nothing to do with my post.

Jason Dunn
03-08-2002, 05:31 PM
Hmm - you're right of course. I read your message too fast - I thought you were asking where the RAM upgrades came from. :-)

As for the "shameless plug", it's not - I don't get any sort of kickback from Times2Tech. That discount is strictly for the consumer - I'm not an affiliate or anything.

To answer your REAL question, no, the extra RAM isn't needed for those, or any other applications. The only benefit is that you can store more software on your device, just like having a bigger hard drive. I don't think it's misleading to consumers - the applications will work with the device out of the box.