View Full Version : Morpheus for Pocket PC?

Jason Dunn
03-04-2002, 07:21 AM
<a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/files/pocketmorpheus.wmv">http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/files/pocketmorpheus.wmv</a><br /><br />iPAQmaniac sent me this video clip (1 meg, WMV format) a few days ago, and while I haven't been able to find any proof that this application really exists, it sure looks legitimate. :-) Check out the video - I'd post a screen shot, but due to the lovely DRM features in Windows Media Player, I can't seem to get a screen snap.<br /><br />This looks like a proof of concept, but conceptually it's a cool idea once wireless Pocket PCs start shipping...although I can't imagine what the GPRS costs would be with Pocket Morpheus running!

entropy1980
03-04-2002, 07:28 AM
this is hecka cool I have been wondering why know one has released somesort of P2P client for PPC. Actually I have been dissapointed that they removed file transfer in both MSN Messenger and AIM for Pocket PC,
It would be great to finally be able to transfer files this way!

wiredguy
03-04-2002, 07:45 AM
It looks a little fake to me, but who knows. It would be extremely cool if it was real. :)

Dave Conger
03-04-2002, 08:08 AM
I agree...with a little eVB, a program looking like that would not be very difficult to make. Though, i might be skeptical, this would be a cool little app.

JohnnyFlash
03-04-2002, 08:31 AM
although I can't imagine what the GPRS costs would be with Pocket Morpheus running!

Well, in some countries there is flat rate GPRS then this utility would be nice to download stuff on the way.

But, haven't you noticed that Morpheus lately is dead? It changed technology from Fasttrack to Gnutella and I personally find the new technolgy very ineffective, therefore I have switched to KaZaA. So actually that what we would REALLY need is KaZaA Desktop for PocketPC, because Morpheus is using Gnutella technology and it simply is not working that good as Fasttrack...

If this utility is NOT A FAKE then I am sure that some URL for download would be available. If it is not on the Internet then it is not existent...

JonnoB
03-04-2002, 09:12 AM
If this utility is NOT A FAKE then I am sure that some URL for download would be available. If it is not on the Internet then it is not existent...

The entire Morpheus development went open source with Gnutella..... basically, this would allow an easy development of a PPC client.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/cn/20020304/tc_cn/morpheus_network_goes_open_source&cid=70

Robotbeat
03-04-2002, 01:54 PM
You used to be able to download stuff from Kazaa just by searching at their website, without any client software or anything. That was cool because then you could download stuff with the Pocket PC.

If people can download stuff with dial-up connections, they can use Pocket PCs with good wireless connections.

spg
03-04-2002, 04:10 PM
It looks pretty real to me, but I don't know for sure. It would be really cool if it is real. 8) And about the new preview edition of Morpheus, I like it better then the old version. I have been able to find alot more of the songs I searched for then I could on the old version.

Jason Dunn
03-04-2002, 05:35 PM

It hasn't occurred to you that people would tell us about things that haven't yet been released to the public? :-)

Charles Pickrell
03-04-2002, 06:19 PM
The music file was supposedly downloaded to the Program Files folder. Windows Media Player for Pocket PC can't see music files if they aren't in the My Documents folder, so this is probably fake.

Jason Dunn
03-04-2002, 06:49 PM
The music file was supposedly downloaded to the Program Files folder. Windows Media Player for Pocket PC can't see music files if they aren't in the My Documents folder, so this is probably fake.

Um, not exactly Charles. :-) He's using Windows Media Player 8, which scans the entire device for music files. I just did a test and put an MP3 file in the root of my HP 565, outside all the folders, and it still found it.

Gosh you guys are skeptical! :lol:

helloboys
03-05-2002, 07:43 AM
Couple of things: I've never seen Morpheus find and download files that fast, and I'm on cable. He must be on an insane connection, or it's fake :)
Morpheus has changed networks from FastTrack to Gnutella. Is this a FT or Gnutella client?

Dave Conger
03-05-2002, 08:26 AM
I've never seen Morpheus find and download files that fast, and I'm on cable. He must be on an insane connection, or it's fake :)

For speed, you have to download a song that a lot of people have. If a large number of people with fast connections have it, then your connection speed will matter. It is entirly possible that is a Morpheus style download and probably over a LAN or DSL/Cable (minimum).

Morpheus has changed networks from FastTrack to Gnutella. Is this a FT or Gnutella client?

Being that Morpheus is now changed (at least my client said I need the new one), it would have to be Gnutella.

spg
03-05-2002, 05:26 PM
Couple of things: I've never seen Morpheus find and download files that fast, and I'm on cable. He must be on an insane connection, or it's fake :)

I have had songs download that fast for me. And I have a cable modem as well. Some songs have even downloaded faster for me, it all depends on how many users have the file, and how stable the connection is between you and the source.

thelink
03-05-2002, 10:29 PM
:D Hi Guys,
Color me stupid, but couldn't it be on a wireless LAN and be connected @1.5 Mbps ( or higher I guess)...Just a thought.....Steve