View Full Version : Those cool Windows CE gas pumps :-)

Ed Hansberry
03-01-2002, 02:20 PM
<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/embedded/ce.NET/previous/evaluation/casestudies/tokheim.asp">http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/embedded/ce.NET/previous/evaluation/casestudies/tokheim.asp</a><br /><br />This has nothing to do with Pocket PC's, but does shed a bit of light on the OS that is behind the Pocket PC and what else it does.<br /><br />"While a driver is pumping gas, she can watch advertisements about special offerings in the mini-mart. She could order a car wash at the pump, receive a number, and proceed directly to the automated car wash after filling her gas tank. In the back office, a server running Windows NT has been communicating with the pump running Windows CE. The tank monitor has registered a low level of gas "Pump 3," triggering a call to the inventory database. At corporate headquarters, information from gas station franchises across the country may indicate that the soda advertisements have increased sales positively, while the candy bar advertisements have had no effect on revenue."<br /><br />Thanks to Marc Zimmermann for fueling this post. I had such a gas reading it.

spg
03-01-2002, 03:33 PM
Now we just need bluetooth enabled payment, send money from your Pocket PC to the pump. :)

SwitchBlade
03-01-2002, 03:59 PM
In the back office, a server running Windows NT has been communicating with the pump running Windows CE.

Hee hee NT, hee hee, they don't plan on the Garage's system staying up long. "Sorry you can't get any petrol today the server has gone down..... Again.....

Hee hee.

SwitchBlade

Jeff Kirvin
03-01-2002, 04:07 PM
Thanks to Marc Zimmerman for fueling this post. I had such a gas reading it.

Stop Ed before he puns again!

Ed Hansberry
03-01-2002, 04:47 PM
Stop Ed before he puns again!

Awww... come on Jeff. I get really pumped up about this stuff. :lol:

Jeff Kirvin
03-01-2002, 05:00 PM
Oh, the humanity...

Ed Hansberry
03-01-2002, 05:18 PM
Oh, the humanity...

Kind of leaves you fuming does it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff Kirvin
03-01-2002, 05:42 PM
Kind of leaves you fuming does it? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're going to have to hose me down.

(Now look what you've done...)

Kemas
03-01-2002, 07:23 PM
Please put us out of our missery!

Jason, if you aren't careful this will become... PocketPCPuns.com

Please!!!!!!!!! Save us!!!!!!!!

Ed Hansberry
03-01-2002, 07:41 PM

Now don't go igniting a big flame war by throwing fuel on the fire....

Dave Conger
03-01-2002, 08:41 PM
Yeah, my last fill-up definitantly filled more then my tank...must have been a PalmSource embedded solution for gas pumps. :wink:

Kre
03-01-2002, 08:51 PM

Now don't go igniting a big flame war by throwing fuel on the fire....

Please stop! This is beyond the limits of human endurance! :lol:

Ed Hansberry
03-01-2002, 09:12 PM
Please stop! This is beyond the limits of human endurance! :lol:

Yeah, I am nearly running on empty with anymore puns. :wink:

burmashave
03-02-2002, 12:18 AM
How do we reboot the pump? :wink:

Mike Wagstaff
03-02-2002, 08:28 PM
Yeah, I am nearly running on empty with anymore puns. Talk about scraping the barrel... I was all pumped up with excitement about this news, but's Ed's puns have driven me to despair. Please promise that there aren't any more in the pipeline... ;)

Dave Conger
03-03-2002, 07:10 AM
How do we reboot the pump? :wink:

Soft reset or hard reset?

Maybe you could get some free gas after a hard reset!

Foo Fighter
03-03-2002, 08:16 PM
:? Windows Everywhere is a bad idea. There are some markets where we just don't need this OS, regardless what form it comes in. I really don't see a need for "Windows-powered" gas pumps. Seems like a solution looking for a problem..or a solution that creates new problems. I can only imagine the potential bugs that go along with Embedded CE, like pumps that won't shut off even after your tank is full. Or how about having the pump crash as you enter in your credit card information, or worse....someone hacks into the pump online and steals CC info. Now there is reason enough NOT to use WinCE.

Microsoft: Where do you want to go today? TO THE NEXT FILLING STATION!

Registered
03-04-2002, 01:32 AM
Guess, we'll be seeing things like this ATM more often then... :D

http://www.cheekies.com/gallery/Microsoft/Error_Bank.jpg