View Full Version : AvantGo invited to Microsoft's Mobility Council

Andy Sjostrom
03-01-2002, 09:32 AM
<a href="http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.022802/220590108&ticker=AVGO">http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.022802/220590108&ticker=AVGO</a><br /><br />Microsoft recently launched its Mobility Partner Advisory Council. AvantGo announced a couple of days ago its participation in the council.<br /><br />This press release says: "Many corporations view AvantGo enterprise solutions as a key element in their mobile computing strategy, which is one of the reasons we included its technology in Pocket Internet Explorer for Pocket PC 2002," said Mary Rose Becker, Group Marketing Manager for Mobility at Microsoft Corp. "AvantGo has been a solid company producing valuable solutions for customers for years, so we're excited to further align ourselves with it via the Mobile Partner Advisory Council."<br />Richard Owen, AvantGo's CEO, added: "We are pleased to be part of Microsoft's mobility 'inner circle,' providing proven mobile software solutions that are ideal for corporations deploying value-added applications on their Pocket PC 2002 devices."

entropy1980
03-01-2002, 04:23 PM
Avantgo is going to make themselves extinct if they don't knock off the stupid limitations for smaller sites, In fact if i could i would un-install it in a heartbeat.

JonathanWardRogers
03-01-2002, 05:26 PM
I wholeheartedly agree!

spg
03-01-2002, 05:33 PM
Avantgo is going to make themselves extinct if they don't knock off the stupid limitations for smaller sites, In fact if i could i would un-install it in a heartbeat.

Yeah, it is pretty sad. Mazingo should get to go to the Advisory Council as well, they are less stuck up then AvantGo is. I think it would be better for the whole community if they advised Microsoft instead of AvantGo.

Kemas
03-01-2002, 07:25 PM
Anyone know if MS owns stock in AvantGo? They normaly don't tie themselves to another company's technology if it stinks. AvantGo was great back in the day, you know a year go (who, those were the days) but today.... they are great for palms..... So why is MS doing business with'em?

Dave Conger
03-01-2002, 08:50 PM
Microsoft has been including AvantGo on its device for some time now. I don't know if it is MS that pays AG for it or the other way around, but either way there is some connection there. It is only to be expected that Microsoft would put AvantGo on the Advisory Council over Mazingo simily because they have been on CE based handhelds for much longer then Mazingo. It is a little surprising though that MS would be in such support of AG seeing as that they also support non Pocket PC devices.

disconnected
03-01-2002, 09:28 PM
The one thing that I consistently use AvantGo for is downloading maps from MapBlast; I really like the step-by-step maps with graphics that they provide; the layout is perfect for the PocketPC. The only problem is that they take up a fair amount of room, and AvantGo seems to allow only a very limited amount of info to be downloaded. I'd be happy if I could save them somewhere on my iPAQ storage card after I downloaded them through AvantGo, so that I could then download more maps or other things, but, so far, I haven't figured out how to do this.

Russ Smith
03-01-2002, 09:39 PM
When you look at the goals of the Mobility Council, especially it's orientation toward enterprise, AvantGo is a logical choice. (Although, I'd agree Mazingo has a place there as well.) Mazingo has made a place in all of our hearts by supporting the "enthusiast" crowd while AvantGo offered us a sharp stick in the eye. That doesn't mean that AvantGo is any less suited for offering enterprise solutions to those willing to pay its confiscatory rates :)

helloboys
03-02-2002, 12:33 PM
Mazingo is rubbish. AvantGo is a vastly superior service. I'll consider MG again if they integrate it into PIE and ActiveSync, and they speed it up. Until then, AvantGo is king.

HTH.

Jason Dunn
03-02-2002, 08:52 PM
AvantGo is king.

King of WHAT?

AvantGo was useful to me because of all the custom channels I had. Now with them all gone, I haven't touched AvantGo. It's like having a TV with three channels on it... :roll:

Dave Conger
03-03-2002, 07:14 AM
AvantGo was useful to me because of all the custom channels I had. Now with them all gone, I haven't touched AvantGo. It's like having a TV with three channels on it... :roll:

Are you custom channels gone? Mine all still sync (including PPC Thoughts).

helloboys
03-03-2002, 04:24 PM

Are you custom channels gone? Mine all still sync (including PPC Thoughts).

Same here. The two custom channels (PPCThoughts and /.) are both working very nicely, and all my others are official channels.