View Full Version : Blueish, reddish - why not BLACK sidelight?

MacBirdie
02-27-2002, 02:32 PM
As we all know that in all PocketPCs with passive lcds the sidelight has a red, pink or blue tint to it.
I figured out that since a reflected light from any surfaced has always fixed polarisation, I took out a circular polarizer from my brother's photo hardware, turned it around for a bit while looking at my E-200's screen and voilla! - almost no tint, the black is black! :)

Conclusion is that since it's a sidelit passive screens' flaw by design, manufacturers should include a polarized glass over the screen to eliminate the ugly looking tint coming from the sidelight. What do you think?

Jason Dunn
02-28-2002, 05:05 PM
Very interesting idea - I agree, it would be nice to not have that "tint"...

spg
03-01-2002, 03:23 PM
It would be nice not to have the tint, but wouldn't the glass make it quite a bit heavier? Interesting idea though. :)

speter
03-10-2002, 01:58 AM
Sounds to me like you have a business opportunity, MacBirdie. If the manufacturers don't do it, offer it as an add-on.

Take1
03-23-2002, 08:46 AM
I always wondered if they cold make a polarized screen protector like Brando or G2. Wonder what the cost of manufacturing something like that would be?

Brad Adrian
03-23-2002, 11:47 PM
I've been out of the heavy-duty 35mm photography circles for a while, but since polarization is achieved by etching the optical surface, couldn't a relatively light plastice be used, like those used for eyeglasses?

Terry
04-09-2002, 06:37 AM
3M already sells something similar for laptops:
http://www.3m.com/about3m/innovation/computerfilter/index.jhtml
and LCD monitors...about $100 US for a 15" display...perhaps they'll make screen protectors soon!

Terry
04-10-2002, 05:12 AM
FWIW, I fired off an e-mail to 3M about this idea...I actually got a reply! Fairly generic, but clearly not an auto-responder either!