View Full Version : HELP: My 567's "hp safe store" is gone!

jmarcet
02-27-2002, 01:25 PM
I've had my cool Jornada 567 for just two weeks. It is a SG150xxxxx (made in Singapore on week 50, 2001) US model, has no dust issues, and until yesterday had worked wonderfully.
However, somehow, the "hp safe store" just vanished. I just can recall that I was doing a sync with Mazingo 3.30 beta. I had to disconnect the dial-up connection on the computer it was connected to, and after doing a soft reset the safe store storage card was no longer available.
Checking on the Memory Applet's Storage Card page, it says "Total storage card Not installed" instead of showing the flash device.
I've tried doing a pair of hard resets, also to apply the firmware update which failed because I had already applied it before.
Other than that, I can only say that I had not back-up done (I had one which I stopped at the middle due to the time it was taking, cause all the memory was nearlly filled up).

Well, if anyone has any hint and/or idea of what might be going on, just write back :-\

PS I have thoroughly checked the whole registry, and only found one reference to the safe store:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\FlshDrv]
"Order"=dword:00000001
"IOCTL"=dword:00000004
"Index"=dword:00000002
"FolderName"="hp safe store"
"FSD"="PSMFSD.dll"
"Prefix"="PSM"
"Dll"="FlshDrv.dll"

You could see what you find on your devices. If not I think my only chance will be getting an image of another 567's ROM and flash mine with it. Do you know if it can be done with the same linux tools used with the iPAQ?

ironguy
02-27-2002, 05:07 PM
Can you access Omnisolve? This is loaded in my safe store along with code wallet. If you can, I would suggest that somehow your folder is hidden.

jmarcet
02-28-2002, 01:10 AM
The thing is I removed Omnisolve a few days ago, since it was taking space on the sfae store and I wasn't going to everuse it...

Anyway, if you want more info with a possible solution :idea:, go to my last post on http://discussion.brighthand.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=280197#post280197

ppcsurfr
07-09-2002, 06:36 AM
The safe store disappears if you fill it up beyond its capacity.

If you have 8MB left in the safe store and ou load it up to the brim, it will cause an error and you will lose it.

The safe store is used for the installers of some 3rd party apps and shold ot be used for anything such as full backups. Only PIM backups can be stored in the safe store due to its size.

So far the only solution is to have the Flash ROM reflashed with a copletely new OS... or a copy of the OS via a bootloader.

Some people have run some formating or auto backup utility and were able to get their safe store back.

jngold_me
07-16-2002, 02:28 PM
The best option here (it happend to me also) is to backup your device and send it back to HP. They will be happy to exchange for you. The only problem is whether the device you get back will be "defective" (read:dust free).

The good thing here is that HP will honor your warrantee and replace as many units as necessary until you are happy.

HTH!

Don Tolson
08-27-2002, 06:34 PM
You might also be able to fix this by taking a PIM-only backup, then doing a hard reset (both batteries out for at least 10 minutes). When you restart the machine, you should be back to 'out of the box' status + any firmware upgrades (EUU1 and EUU2 e.g.) you've done.

Then, restore the PIM dbs to get back to 'normal' with contacts, appts, etc. Unfortunately, you'll need to re-install any other software you had on your machine. But you should then have your SafeStore back.