View Full Version : Mini Stumbler, the Network Stumbler for Pocket PCs

Andy Sjostrom
02-20-2002, 03:48 PM
<a href="http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=21&ttitle=Mini_Stumbler">http://www.netstumbler.com/download.php?op=viewdownloaddetails&lid=21&ttitle=Mini_Stumbler</a><br /><br />Wireless networks are not safe. That's the point the people behind the Network Stumbler want to make. The software can detect open WiFi networks, and makes it really easy to use the connectivity they provide. Mini Stumbler is now released, and runs of Pocket PCs.<br /><br />"Who should use this program?<br /><br />Security folks wanting to check that their corporate LAN isn't wide open <br />Systems admins wanting to check coverage of their Wireless LAN <br />Gatherers of demographic information about 802.11 popularity <br />Drive-by snoopers <br />Overly curious bystanders"<br /><br />Thanks to llamapocket for the link!

spg
02-20-2002, 04:20 PM
Interesting, could be quite useful software for both system admins and hackers :wink:.

bblock
02-20-2002, 04:53 PM
I just saw a demo of this last night. Barry Shilmover of SonicMobility (the gracious host of PocketPCThoughts) did a presentation for the Vancouver NT Users Group. The first half was on wireless and it's lack of security. He showed this tool on his laptop and iPAQ (which had the 256MB internal mod, damn him) and it picked up an SSID from a user's laptop! It was very cool and very scary to think of the possibilities.

Jason - Barry says 'hi'. He's going to get both keyboards for the iPAQ soon (thumb and full-size), so I'll be bugging him for a review. I'll post when/if I get it.

Jason Dunn
02-20-2002, 04:59 PM
Jason - Barry says 'hi'. He's going to get both keyboards for the iPAQ soon (thumb and full-size), so I'll be bugging him for a review. I'll post when/if I get it.

Barry is a gentleman and a scholar - without Sonic Mobility this site would be off the grid by now. :-)

Thomas E.
02-20-2002, 05:50 PM
Highly restriced in the Model of WiFi Card used (Chipset). Otherwise would love to try this one out in a meeting room, for educational purpose only of course :D

JohnnyFlash
02-20-2002, 05:54 PM
That's the point the people behind the Network Stumbler want to make.
:evil: :cry: :(
people behind this program should make it
compatible with Compaq WL100 (I have cheap Taiwanese WLAN
card in my iPAQ which is running on this drivers) !!!!

Now, this is OF NO USE TO ME, :( :( :(
I am very :!: unhappy :(

I always was searching for a program for PocketPC (I have it for other
OS-es) that would show list of available WLAN networks in the area.
I hoped that this Stumbler is it but then comes the blow: it is not working
wity my WLAN card...

I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo unhappy.

JohnnyFlash
02-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Wireless networks are not safe. That's the point the people behind the Network Stumbler want to make.

See screenshots of this program here:
http://wirelesssoftware.info/show1news.php?&ID=54

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Highly restriced in the Model of WiFi Card used (Chipset). Otherwise would love to try this one out in a meeting room, for educational purpose only of course :D

We used Net Stumbler for "educational purposes" in Portland, OR and it worked wonderfully. Showed us everything we needed to know. We have been waiting for the Mini version so we wouldn't have to use a laptop to collect data, I just hope this is as robust as the Windows version.

vetteguy
02-20-2002, 09:40 PM
I have to second the dismay at the lack of support for most wireless cards on the market. I have a Symbol card and would love to use this at my place of work, but alas I cannot. Oh well.

LowTeK
02-21-2002, 04:27 AM
This is a killer app. I installed it and took a little drive with my Jornada 568 w/ a Lucent Silver PC Card (guess I qualify as the drive-by snooper), Mini Stumbler found 14 AP's in a hour drive. Out of those 14, 10 of them were Linksys AP's with a SSID of "linksys". Talk about WLAN's being insecure :roll:

Now all I need is a GPS to plug in to my Jornada and I will be set :D

James
02-21-2002, 05:52 AM
We used Net Stumbler for "educational purposes" in Portland, OR and it worked wonderfully. Showed us everything we needed to know. We have been waiting for the Mini version so we wouldn't have to use a laptop to collect data, I just hope this is as robust as the Windows version.

I'll just have to find out. Be interesting to see what I find wandering around Redmond. And I think our Network guys would love to use this as well!

nishka
02-21-2002, 08:21 PM
This is A KILLER app for so many reasons.. I've found it useful for testing signal strength in ad-hoc mode, something my Lucent and DLink cards don't currently provide.

Those of you with the original traveroute GPS unit (the one that connects to the serial port) will also find that it works with ministumbler!! I was tooling around my small town with it yesterday. Works great.