View Full Version : Would you like to see a Pocket PC WinAMP?

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 04:02 AM
Simple questions....would you like to see and/or use a WinAMP client for Pocket PC?

Not to sway your vote, but I know I would. WinAMP has "taken over" my desktop computer and now controls as many files types as it can. It is much more compact then WMP and I feel it has a lot better expandibility (skins, plug-ins, etc).

Daniel
02-20-2002, 04:35 AM
I would certainly pay for it if money was required.

daniel

James
02-20-2002, 05:00 AM
Doesn't AOL own WinAMP now?

Trade Wind
02-20-2002, 06:10 AM

Yes, AOL owns WinAMP, but AFAIK, to it's credit has largely left it to it's own devices.

At any rate, I voted no in the poll. I don't use WinAMP anymore on my desktop, and I most definitely wouldn't pay money to see it on my Pocket PC.

I am happy that Real Networks has/is putting out a version for the Pocket PC. This type of competition is good for the boys in Redmond.

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 06:28 AM

They also control ICQ...

(Do I see a little overflow from our AOL discussion in the other thread?) I feel like both WinAMP, ICQ, and some of the other little things stay pretty much to themselves. Ever noticed the titles on the WinAMP homepage? Not exactly the most politically corrent stuff usually....not stuff you would see from AOL (not complaining).

jhardy23
02-20-2002, 11:50 AM
:D Winamp on PPC would be great.

spg
02-20-2002, 03:12 PM

They also control ICQ...

(Do I see a little overflow from our AOL discussion in the other thread?) I feel like both WinAMP, ICQ, and some of the other little things stay pretty much to themselves. Ever noticed the titles on the WinAMP homepage? Not exactly the most politically corrent stuff usually....not stuff you would see from AOL (not complaining).

Yes you do see a little overflow. And yes I would like to see a WinAmp for pocketpc. If they could get one as good as their desktop product it would be my only player. I guess I will stick with Windows Media until they do though. :)

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 06:58 PM
Yes you do see a little overflow. And yes I would like to see a WinAmp for pocketpc. If they could get one as good as their desktop product it would be my only player. I guess I will stick with Windows Media until they do though. :)

Well all they need to do is basically port there code and remove of of the visulaizations and plug-in stuff. Just use the core code of the play. I know they are probably busy still working on the next gen of WinAMP, so maybe while they are at it they will port some code and make PocketAMP.

spg
02-20-2002, 07:00 PM

Well all they need to do is basically port there code and remove of of the visulaizations and plug-in stuff. Just use the core code of the play. I know they are probably busy still working on the next gen of WinAMP, so maybe while they are at it they will port some code and make PocketAMP.

That would be very good. I knida doubt if it will happen though, they don't seem to be very interested in PocketPC stuff. But then again I may be wrong!

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 07:04 PM
That would be very good. I knida doubt if it will happen though, they don't seem to be very interested in PocketPC stuff. But then again I may be wrong!

You never know...people like there toys and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the WinAMP guys had Pocket PC's with WMP.

spg
02-20-2002, 10:44 PM

You never know...people like there toys and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the WinAMP guys had Pocket PC's with WMP.

True, I guess it is one of those W.A.S. things (wait and see). Maybe we should point out this post to them, to give them a little hint. :wink:

FredMurphy
02-22-2002, 03:59 PM
Now if the Sonique team turned their hand to the PPC, that would be the one to use. Sonique 1.95 is still the MP3 player on my desktop. (Visuals on a 42" plasma screen and audio through a 5.1 channel amp certainly do the job.)

Think they're kinda busy with Sonique 2 at the moment though.....

Fred

Dave Conger
02-22-2002, 06:25 PM
Now if the Sonique team turned their hand to the PPC, that would be the one to use. Sonique 1.95 is still the MP3 player on my desktop. (Visuals on a 42" plasma screen and audio through a 5.1 channel amp certainly do the job.)

That is another option. I have used Sonique before but for it was more prone to crashes (at least for me). Are there specific things you like better about Sonique then WinAMP?

Teddy
03-01-2002, 12:47 PM
I voted yes, Winamp in my PPC would be very cool! :)

JayLagorio
04-30-2002, 09:59 PM
I'd especially love it if they were able to use the decoding/playback engine completely unchanged. You can run almost anything through WinAMP, and even if the format's butchered it will play back relatively well. Not so for WMP. If I give it an MP3 that has "something" wrong with it, and I still haven't found out what that "something" is, it will play up to a certain point, then switch to the next track. Almost as if it found an End-Of-File flag or something. It's really annoying.

Bond
05-26-2002, 05:08 AM
I'm becoming fed up with Windows Media Player myself. Actually, if anyone cares to help me... ;) When I play WMA files off my SD card (iPaq 3835), occasionally, the music will begin to cut out, and, in most cases, stop playing (WMP displaying the time as a 832:1 or something), almost as if the SD card had been removed. Even removing the card doesn't come to this result.

But, back to the topic. I doubt AOL would allow PocketPC users the bliss of finding it on their devices. They have shown their support for the Mac in allowing iTunes, and seem to favor the Palm platform moreso. Hopefully though, the Winamp team will soon see the light of PocketPC. I'd be willing to pay $40 or so for it if they can move the ultimate MP3 playback engine to the PPC platform.

spursdude
06-22-2002, 12:16 AM
i would love winamp.

another question - are there any audio players for PPC that have an EQ function? i would love that....

Jazper
07-05-2002, 06:50 AM
I'd prefer quintessential player for the ppc

www.quinnware.com - pc version