View Full Version : PocketPCWriter coverage of 3GSM World Congress

marlof
02-19-2002, 04:56 PM
<a href="http://www.pocketpcwriter.net/stories.php?story=02/02/19/1063570">http://www.pocketpcwriter.net/stories.php?story=02/02/19/1063570</a><br /><br />Speaking of the 3GSM World Congress, Arne Hess has put together some information on the introduction of the Smartphone 2002 and the Pocket PC 2002 Phone Edition there. He also has a few homemade pictures of devices on display, so go check it out.

Daniel
02-19-2002, 05:05 PM
Ok, my first question is about the pattery life of the smartphones. Seems like there might be some issues if I'm playing streaming video off the net for more than 5 minutes?

The Jornada looks pretty small, especially next to the iPAQ (with the GSM/GPRS sleeve).

Ok, it has to be said, "BINGO", I won catch phrase bingo already:
"Enabling the Wireless Ecosystem". Something tells me that little gem will be coming up in the near future... :)

daniel

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 05:51 PM
Ok, my first question is about the pattery life of the smartphones.

I think that the PocketPC/Phone combos are only going to be marginally better than todays PocketPC and only because of XScale's lower power use. That may be offset with the use of the additional DSP. The SmartPhone(Stinger) however is likely to have cell-phone typical battery life which is definately welcome.

johnm
02-19-2002, 07:03 PM
Does anyone know the screen resolution of these new 2002 smart phones?

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 07:08 PM
Does anyone know the screen resolution of these new 2002 smart phones?

The follow on question I have is the screen resolution MS dictated or OEM decided?

johnm
02-19-2002, 07:12 PM
I assume and hope that it is dictated by MS. That would really help people who are considering developing apps for this platform - especially games.

JonnoB
02-19-2002, 07:18 PM
I assume and hope that it is dictated by MS. That would really help people who are considering developing apps for this platform - especially games.

There has never been a problem on the desktop. Retargetable graphics from the OS should handle most screen resolutions. I think that MS should dictate some basic functionality... but I can see uses for the Stinger OS in more than just a small cell phone.

spg
02-19-2002, 07:24 PM

There has never been a problem on the desktop. Retargetable graphics from the OS should handle most screen resolutions. I think that MS should dictate some basic functionality... but I can see uses for the Stinger OS in more than just a small cell phone.

Yeah I agree. It would be a very nice change for them to be flexible, that is from my user camera. However from my designers camera, I would like them to be one standard res. Not changing the rs would make it easier to make your designs look good on all devices.

Arne Hess
02-19-2002, 07:29 PM

Yes, it is dictated/suggested by Microsoft. Makes sense to provide a common platform.

Cheers ~ Arne, MS MVP - Mobile Devices
Editor in Chief Pocket PC Writer.Net
http://www.pocketpcwriter.net

johnm
02-19-2002, 11:14 PM

Yes, it is dictated/suggested by Microsoft. Makes sense to provide a common platform.

Cheers ~ Arne, MS MVP - Mobile Devices
Editor in Chief Pocket PC Writer.Net
http://www.pocketpcwriter.net

Ok but what is the resolution?

Daniel
02-20-2002, 12:59 AM

This can lead to a lack of innovation by OEMs however, as we have seen in the PPC market. It kind of stifles competition as there are no differentiators.

daniel

spg
02-20-2002, 02:44 AM

This can lead to a lack of innovation by OEMs however, as we have seen in the PPC market. It kind of stifles competition as there are no differentiators.

Very true, but I don't even want to get into that discussion again. :?

Jason Dunn
02-20-2002, 03:30 AM

If memory serves 176 x 120.

Daniel
02-20-2002, 04:16 AM
Very true, but I don't even want to get into that discussion again. :?

ha ha ha, no I don't either, unless we win this time instead of it being a dead heat. :lol:

It can also mean the difference between acceptance of a platform and it fading into history. (Thought I would add a little balance ;) )

daniel

Daniel
02-20-2002, 04:18 AM

Is that a division of some resolution or what? Doesn't seem like it, maybe it was "just the right size". :)

daniel

Arne Hess
02-20-2002, 02:26 PM

I mean to remember 160 x 120... But I'm not sure at all. Will figure it out later again!

Cheers ~ Arne

innersky
02-20-2002, 03:28 PM

I mean to remember 160 x 120... But I'm not sure at all. Will figure it out later again!

Cheers ~ Arne

176x220 is the correct resolution.