View Full Version : Pocket PC Modem Acoustic Coupler ?

garrans
02-19-2002, 08:08 AM
I'm hoping to travel to Nepal and Europe (on the cheap) and am looking for a way to hook my PocketPC up to a normal pay phone for emails etc. (a la PocketMail). Has anybody played with an acoustic coupler and the pocket pc ?

cbolvin
02-20-2002, 04:24 AM
I don't think you'll find anything. Acoustic couplers were used for old async modems that topped out at 2400BPS. Also not compatible with today's V.90 systems even if they downshifted in speed. The modems themselves would be large, heavy, very old, not battery operated, etc. I think there are travel kits available that might do the trick.

garrans
02-20-2002, 12:40 PM
Interesting note about the non compatability with the v90 modems. I wasn't aware of that. I wonder how pocketmail does it. I wonder if any of the Connexx adapters could be "tweaked".

cbolvin
02-21-2002, 03:47 AM
Since you mentioned PocketMail I remember that it was an acoustic connection. I did some checking and the PocketMail service uses a proprietary type of modem. That explains why they force you to use their hardware and their network. It's going to be low speed (around 2400BPS or so). Acoustic connections can't support high speed.