View Full Version : You might look weird but...

Dave Conger
02-17-2002, 10:10 PM
Microvision is introducing a product called the Nomad. It is a "'see-through' high-resolution headworn display that allows mobile viewing of electronic information in all lighting conditions." Though it only displays one color (red), it is a cool idea of doing some stuff. It would be definatly cool if it displayed three colors and could be plugged into your PDA.

http://www.mvis.com/prod_nomad.htm

JonnoB
02-18-2002, 01:09 AM
Until head worn devices become small and stylish - like wearing shades, I doubt we will see wide adoption. I did get to try the Xybernaut system and it was fun. A bluetooth enabled display to my PocketPC would be nice...

Dave Conger
02-18-2002, 02:19 AM
Until head worn devices become small and stylish - like wearing shades, I doubt we will see wide adoption. I did get to try the Xybernaut system and it was fun. A bluetooth enabled display to my PocketPC would be nice...

Yeah, sunglass form would definatly help. I think it is a cool idea thought, but yeah, it doesn't really have a lot of practicle applications for the general public yet.

JonnoB
02-18-2002, 02:45 AM
Yeah, sunglass form would definatly help. I think it is a cool idea thought, but yeah, it doesn't really have a lot of practicle applications for the general public yet.

The technology is there... and I can imagine lots of different uses. For example, a hud (heads up display) showing car speed while driving... or for a professional athlete to get real-time visual help. It just can't look like I am wearing a computer.

Dave Conger
02-18-2002, 03:00 AM
The technology is there... and I can imagine lots of different uses. For example, a hud (heads up display) showing car speed while driving... or for a professional athlete to get real-time visual help. It just can't look like I am wearing a computer.

But of course we need it to plug into our PDA!

JonnoB
02-18-2002, 03:05 AM
But of course we need it to plug into our PDA!

Perhaps not... especially if we have display executing via Bluetooth....!

Dave Conger
02-18-2002, 03:12 AM

lol....yes, i guess i should have said connectivity to your PDA. I fear bluetooth could be a little slow to transfer that information to display that can show up to 800x600.

spg
02-18-2002, 03:18 AM

lol....yes, i guess i should have said connectivity to your PDA. I fear bluetooth could be a little slow to transfer that information to display that can show up to 800x600.

Yes, could be quite slow. We can use bluetooth for that battery powered printer stuck in the pocket :wink:.

Dave Conger
02-18-2002, 03:38 AM
Yes, could be quite slow.

Well since VNC runs slow over a 10mb connection, I would hate to see something like that over bluetooth.

James
02-18-2002, 03:46 AM
Well since VNC runs slow over a 10mb connection, I would hate to see something like that over bluetooth.

it's even slower when you secure the channel....it would have to be a secure protocol before I even want to think about it going wireless...ugh!

Dave Conger
02-18-2002, 03:51 AM
it's even slower when you secure the channel....it would have to be a secure protocol before I even want to think about it going wireless...ugh!

Mmmmm, security. I think I would have to ditch that for speed....in this application at least.

spg
02-18-2002, 03:52 AM

Uggh, I can't even bear to think about it! W I N D O W S I S L O A D I N G. (Translation- Windows is loading... I hope :wink: )

spg
02-18-2002, 03:53 AM
Uggh, it cut out all the spaces in that last post. There were supposed to be like 5 to 10 spaces between each letter. Oh well.

James
02-18-2002, 03:54 AM
Mmmmm, security. I think I would have to ditch that for speed....in this application at least.

indeed - especially over wireless where you've no clue who's listening in. VNC is quite insecure much like X11. That's not to say it can be secured, but since it's not built in, it's bolt on, and that's always a speed killer.

JonnoB
02-18-2002, 04:12 AM

You would be surprised to see the efficiency of Terminal Server client over a slow connection. By the time this type of application becomes common, BlueTooth will have gone the way of the DoDo.

Dave Conger
02-18-2002, 04:17 AM
You would be surprised to see the efficiency of Terminal Server client over a slow connection. By the time this type of application becomes common, BlueTooth will have gone the way of the DoDo.

Terminal Services is an option, but it would have to be integrated into the glasses and your PDA powered with a server....we aren't quite they yet i fear.

JonnoB
02-18-2002, 05:04 AM
Terminal Services is an option, but it would have to be integrated into the glasses and your PDA powered with a server....we aren't quite they yet i fear.

Another thought: Take away the screen and how big is your PocketPC? The glasses ARE the PocketPC... Couple that with integrated earpiece within the glasses and you have portable mp3, phone, etc. Dreaming?

James
02-18-2002, 06:12 AM
Of all the stupid things for Microsoft to have spent time on, a Terminal Services client for PocketPCs has to rank right near the top.

Dave Conger
02-18-2002, 07:41 AM
Of all the stupid things for Microsoft to have spent time on, a Terminal Services client for PocketPCs has to rank right near the top.

Whoops...I actually use TS! I think it is a good idea for PDA's, but I would like it if it were optimized for the screen.

Jason Dunn
02-18-2002, 07:51 AM

I hate to say this James, but that is a remarkably uninformed opinion - you wouldn't BELIEVE how many times I've been asked for this! It was at the top of many enterprise lists... :)

JonnoB
02-18-2002, 07:56 AM

With WinXP supporting Terminal Server natively as a means of remote desktop, I find it incredibly useful.

charlie
02-21-2002, 10:56 PM
I have one of these microvision displays in my lab, it's very cool. I have a claymore, the 640x480 version predecessor to the nomad. its not as good as the nomad but its still pretty sharp. the only problem is that you only get redscale images since blue and green lasers are really hard to make cheap. I tried their color unit and it looks really awesome but you have to be tethered to this huge box you put on your desk (its a little smaller than a mini ATX case). I used their nomad model at a conference last week, it's much lighter than my claymore and it's definitely an improvement having the 800x600 and more shades of red (32 now I think). but it still has the same screen warping problem my claymore has. if you draw a square grid on the screen (think graph paper) the image is very good in the middle of the screen but the boxes become a lot narrower at the left and right edges. that sort of screws up our calibration but I think I've got a work around.

in addition to the headmount, the nomad and claymore are tethered to a belt pack with a battery and a box with vga in and controls for brightness and contrast. if you were going to integrate this with a pocketpc, you could just put it in the belt pack and get a flyjacket to get your video into the headmount (I would try this but I don't have a flyjacket). You don't need vnc or wireless or anything to get your video in, just a short vga cable and a flyjacket. I think microvision is finally selling nomads now. I can't wait for color!!

charlie
[email protected]

James
02-22-2002, 04:01 AM
I hate to say this James, but that is a remarkably uninformed opinion - you wouldn't BELIEVE how many times I've been asked for this! It was at the top of many enterprise lists... :)

Well, being an enterprise type, I've yet to find a use for this. Obviously YMMV :)

Dave Conger
02-22-2002, 04:54 AM
Well, being an enterprise type, I've yet to find a use for this. Obviously YMMV :)

I use TS all the time in my home life. Of course, most people might not be like me and run 2000 server on their main machine (though it is rather robust and reliable), but does have its perks over VNC. I actually get another desktop to work on with the same apps and same files. Since it is another desktop doesn't have to capture screen changes and pass them to me so it is better over my home network. The only draw backs I see is the limited 256 color display and that there is no landscape mode or fit to screen on the PDA. Granted I don't use TS on my PDA that much, it is definatly useful outside the enterprise sector for the power consumer.

spg
02-22-2002, 03:34 PM
I love TS on my iPAQ! I use it to connect to my WinXP desktop machine via our 802.11b connection. While I don't use it for highly technical uses it seems to work very well. I can definitely see how it benefits enterprise system admins and such.