View Full Version : Jornada 680 Handheld PC

lawnman
02-17-2002, 01:07 AM
No I haven't gotten rid of my Compaq PPC, but I have an opportunity to buy a Jornada 680 that has never been used with everything in a still factory sealed box for $180 (US). Technology wise it's 2 years behind the Pocket PC's but the built in keyboard, 56k modem, CF and PCMCIA slots is awful attractive. Does anyone out there have a working knowledge of this unit and whether or not it's worth the price?

Thanks all :wink:

James
02-17-2002, 05:13 AM
My sister has mine now and loves it. I dropped it like a hot potato in favor of my first iPaq, though. It's just too big and bulky to be useful I think.

lawnman
02-17-2002, 05:35 AM
My sister has mine now and loves it. I dropped it like a hot potato in favor of my first iPaq, though. It's just too big and bulky to be useful I think.

Thanks for the response James, but that wasn't really helpful. I understand that you wanted something smaller, but is the asking price fair? I absolutely need less bulky input options for my PDA. I find that a stowaway keyboard kind of defeats the purpose. Perhaps one of the new thumbs type sleeve keyboards? Any experience with them? And having to use a sleeve for CF cards is becoming more of a pain everyday. :(

James
02-17-2002, 06:29 AM
Well, as to the asking price, when I bought mine originally, I paid close to $950 for it. My pager has a thumb keyboard on it, and it works great for that, but I prefer handwriting for my iPaq. I don't find the sleeves a problem at all...

disciple
02-17-2002, 09:08 AM
For the price you mentioned it is AWSOME. Big screen for browsing, modem, keyboard, dual expansion options ..... and brand new

:cry: I wish I can have it.

lawnman
02-17-2002, 07:05 PM
For the price you mentioned it is AWSOME. Big screen for browsing, modem, keyboard, dual expansion options ..... and brand new

:cry: I wish I can have it.

Is this the same Disciple of skinning and Aqua-soft infamy? :wink:
I'm linux2 on both Aqua-Soft and Neowin. Thanks for the thumbs up. I will be picking my new toy up in a couple of hours. On the PPC side of things, I think I will be selling my Ipaq and getting the new HP 568. The built in CF slot will eliminate one of my pet peeves.

disciple
02-18-2002, 05:41 AM
Good Luck with your new purchase and I am not whom you may know related to .... whatever is that.

Regards.

lawnman
02-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Good Luck with your new purchase and I am not whom you may know related to .... whatever is that.

Regards.

After spending a couple of hours yesterday evening searching for updates and add-ons, I can say I like this little beauty. ActiveSync 3.5 supports the 680 and everything seems to working well on it. They even have Windows Media player for it. The only drawback I see (besides the processor and color depth [8bit]), is the version of Pocket Internet Explorer it uses. 3.01 just won't display some sites correctly and can't apparently display png or animated gifs. But 90% of the sites I visit work just fine. On the plus side, I was web browsing and checking email every 15 minutes for a solid 1.5 hours and only used 32% of the battery! Compared to my Ipaq, that is outstanding. Very glad I took the plunge.