View Full Version : HP to Unveil Wireless Jornada

Jason Dunn
02-16-2002, 05:15 AM
<a href="http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,84604,tk,dn021502X,00.asp">http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,84604,tk,dn021502X,00.asp</a><br /><br />We now have a date - four days away! Is anyone going to be at Cannes? I'd love to learn more about the Jornada 928, if only to know that it won't work in Canada (which I know it won't). I wonder how quickly they'll release a CDMA2000 version, or a version that works on North American GSM.<br /><br />"Hewlett-Packard is expected to unveil a wireless-enabled addition to its Jornada range of personal digital assistants at the GSM World Congress in Cannes beginning February 19. Details of the HP Jornada 928 WDA are scheduled to be released at an introductory event at Cannes. <br /><br />Existing models in HP's Jornada range all run variations of the Microsoft Windows CE operating system software. Microsoft has been working to develop a new version of its PDA operating system, integrating wireless telephony functions such as dialing numbers straight from the address book, maintaining logs of calls made and received, and sending and receiving text messages by Short Message Service (SMS) technology."

Kirk Stephens
02-16-2002, 06:19 AM
Wow, this week has been full of product announcements. The jornada device sounds interesting. Will it basically be a 568 with built in wireless or will it be a completely new device?

Mr. Anonymous
02-16-2002, 06:31 AM
For the love of god, bring out a US version!

spg
02-16-2002, 04:22 PM
Wow, this week has been full of product announcements. The jornada device sounds interesting. Will it basically be a 568 with built in wireless or will it be a completely new device?

In pictures I have seen is does resemble the 56x series with an antenna area added to at the top. I don't remember ever seeing the pictures here but PDABuzz has some at- http://www2.pdabuzz.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32603. It does look like it will be a cool device, can't wait to find out more details this next week.

Daniel
02-16-2002, 04:56 PM
For the love of god, bring out a US version!

:lol:

That was funny. It's a shame that the US gets mobile technologies so much later than some other countries. It's also a shame about the number of disparate telecommunications systems in the US, maybe these are linked...

daniel

Jason Dunn
02-16-2002, 05:13 PM
That was funny. It's a shame that the US gets mobile technologies so much later than some other countries. It's also a shame about the number of disparate telecommunications systems in the US, maybe these are linked...

Linked? :wink: That's then entire reason! Europe is united with GSM/GPRS, while the US and Canada are a mish-mash of CDMA, TDMA, GSM, and iDEN. It's a freakin' mess. :cry:

spg
02-16-2002, 05:22 PM

Linked? :wink: That's then entire reason! Europe is united with GSM/GPRS, while the US and Canada are a mish-mash of CDMA, TDMA, GSM, and iDEN. It's a freakin' mess. :cry:

It is quite sad I must admit, why can't these US companies get a life and try to organize a bit? :cry:

Daniel
02-16-2002, 06:01 PM
Extreme free market effect. Very much a shame. We have kind of the opposite here in Australia, standard infrastructure and a duopoly (with a main leader). I am waiting for the day when the government here sells the rest of Telstra (see end for more info) and it all goes to hell. They dictate pricing and services, down to *increasing* the cost of broadband! It quite weird really. I just hope that the government here with get some sense about them and privatise the company but keep control of the infrastructure, this could prevent the US situation.

I was being sarcastic before with the "maybe this is linked" comment... :D

daniel

telstra: was govenment owned single provider of telecommunications in AU, govenment has started to privatise (makes budget look good) and telstra have been doing excellent things ever since (more sarcasam). There is another player in the market - Optus (best braodband available, if you can get it!) but they are crippled with paying fees to telstra.

Arne Hess
02-16-2002, 07:16 PM
http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,84604,tk,dn021502X,00.asp

We now have a date - four days away! Is anyone going to be at Cannes? I'd love to learn more about the Jornada 928, if only to know that it won't work in Canada (which I know it won't). I wonder how quickly they'll release a CDMA2000 version, or a version that works on North American GSM.

Jason!

"Sometimes" I'm happy to live in Europe... ;-) Yes, I will go to Cannes on Monday until Thursday and will have a meeting on the HP booth too. :-) I will cover the latest developments on Pocket PC Writer.Net for sure, so step in. As far as I've heard we will see "tons" of news!? Wait and see...

Cheers ~ Arne, MS MVP - Mobile Devices
Editor in Chief Pocket PC Writer.Net
http://www.pocketpcwriter.net

spg
02-16-2002, 07:19 PM
"Sometimes" I'm happy to live in Europe... ;-) Yes, I will go to Cannes on Monday until Thursday and will have a meeting on the HP booth too. :-) I will cover the latest developments on Pocket PC Writer.Net for sure, so step in. As far as I've heard we will see "tons" of news!? Wait and see...

Should be fun, looking forward to your coverage of the show!

Master O'Mayhem
02-16-2002, 08:41 PM
I think we can see some convergence of technologies is the states with VoiceStream, Cingular and ATT wireless offering GSM and GPRS. It kind of makes me think who will get to the true "3G" network first? Will it be the GSM based carriers? or the CDMA2000 1xRTT folks? My bet is on the GSM folks. just my 2 pennies. :D

FM
02-18-2002, 02:44 PM
I will be in Cannes too (flying out in 1 hour actually).

I briefly had one of the prototypes to play with about 1 month ago and the are really cooolllll.....

First version will be dual-band (900, 1800), that means unusable in the US.

More to come later this week.

Stay tuned...

philfp
02-19-2002, 04:09 PM

Mind you, there is one thing to be said against one standard. I know friends who have been thrown off the GPRS network in London several times because too many people were using it. At least when you spread your available capacity out amongst all the competing vendors, you might stand a chance of getting connected. :wink:

Daniel
02-19-2002, 05:18 PM
Mind you, there is one thing to be said against one standard. I know friends who have been thrown off the GPRS network in London several times because too many people were using it. At least when you spread your available capacity out amongst all the competing vendors, you might stand a chance of getting connected. :wink:

The problem with GPRS is that it's just a multi-gsm connection protocol in essence. Which means that there is a physical limit to the number of people that are able to use it at any one time. If you have 3 down stream and 1 up stream channel in your GPRS device and there are 8 Channels available then only for outher people can use the base station that you're on. The Teleco's actually prioritize voice traffic so that data connections get dropped. It's the same pretty much everywhere. I think that CDMA 1xRTT will be better (correct me if I'm wrong), doesn't it scale up to 348kb/sec? That would rock! :)

daniel

paulv
02-19-2002, 11:38 PM
As I mentioned in one of the other forum's...

Starfighter is coming to Oz in 4-6 months (see one of HP's press releases - http://www.itnews.com.au/story.cfm?ID=9128).

Fortunately for us we have compatible networking - despite it's limitations - so you can use starfighter on Telstra, Optus or Vodaphone.

Daniel
02-20-2002, 06:54 AM
Fortunately for us we have compatible networking - despite it's limitations - so you can use starfighter on Telstra, Optus or Vodaphone.

Ok, so Telstra is $13/MB (as long as you do the MB all at once), Optus is ~$35/MB and Vodafone is not online yet. I think that it's a little expensive unless your company is paying for it (still too expensive but it's a matter of scale)

Fairly unusual that Telstra would be less expensive than Optus don't you think?

daniel