View Full Version : Using your iPAQ as a remote

Dave Conger
02-15-2002, 11:43 PM
I know some people like the idea of using their iPAQ's (and other devices) as remotes to control their TV's, so i though I would post this about a new product that extends the range via an add-in card allowing for your iPAQ to be a more real universal remote.

CardonWare today announced the UltraMote(TM) Extender, a patent-pending add-in card that lets user operate a variety of home entertainment and automation devices from up to 50 feet away using an iPAQ 36xx, 37xx and 38xx series Pocket PC with UltraMote universal remote software. UltraMote Extender is the first remote control booster card and the first consumer infrared add-in card for Pocket PCs, giving these devices the same range as factory remote controls or dedicated universal remotes.

Full press release is here: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/f_headline.cgi?bw.021402/220450350

The extender with the UltraMote software is a little expensive, $40, but it is an interesting idea.

spg
02-15-2002, 11:51 PM
Very cool 8)! I really like the idea of having one remote for everything, and if that remote cost me $500 I'm much less likely to lose it! :lol:

James
02-16-2002, 01:16 AM
There's something just.....wrong...with using a PPC for remote when with a little work and some VB code, you can turn your PC into a voice controlled remote :lol:

Dave Conger
02-16-2002, 09:40 AM
I am a little mad, I was suppose to get mine Friday, but I guess Priorty FedEx just doesn't ship fast enough! Tell you what I think of it Monday.