View Full Version : J 548 charging problems

jim s
02-15-2002, 08:48 PM
I have been having a problem lately that seems to be getting worse. I synch/charge my pocket pc when I get home at night, and after just a few minutes, the charge light goes green. I take it off the charger and the battery meter shows that it is still quite discharged. I put it back on the charger and it show charging for a few minutes, then I take it back off, and it shows still discharged, but a little less so. I continue this cycle for many iterations, until it finally shows fully charged. Does anybody have a similar situation, or better yet, solution? Thanks.

Jason Dunn
02-15-2002, 09:36 PM
Something is very wrong with that...you could try doing a FULL discharge of the battery. Play music with the screen on until the Pocket PC fails, then leave the battery off the device (yes, this will hard reset it) for a day to let it drain even more. Then try a full charge...but my hunch is that you have a defective battery.

spg
02-15-2002, 10:13 PM
...but my hunch is that you have a defective battery.

I agree, at the moment I can't think of anything else that would cause that sort of problem.

jim s
02-15-2002, 10:18 PM
Actually, I am thinking it might be the charger, as I just remembered another symptom. Sometimes the charge light doesn't come on at all and I have to tap the 'brick' on the charge cord. The light will then come on or off. I wonder if the circuit to shut off the charge is in the pocket pc or in the charger? I also have a 12 volt charger and will try that, too.

Thanks for the suggestions.

spg
02-15-2002, 10:22 PM
Actually, I am thinking it might be the charger, as I just remembered another symptom. Sometimes the charge light doesn't come on at all and I have to tap the 'brick' on the charge cord. The light will then come on or off. I wonder if the circuit to shut off the charge is in the pocket pc or in the charger? I also have a 12 volt charger and will try that, too.

Could be, especially since you have to "tap the 'brick'", for lack of a better term.

kyoukoku
02-26-2002, 12:13 AM
I have had to put a twisted elastic band around the charger and the elbow of the cable as there seems to be a loose connection in the small round socket of the charger. I think this has also led to the problems with charging the battery properly. I don't think I'll bother with a new charger though. :?