View Full Version : StowAway Keyboard for the iPAQ 36xx/37xx/38xx

Jason Dunn
02-14-2002, 06:59 PM
<a href="http://www.tekguru.co.uk/PPC_Reviews/stowaway/index.htm">http://www.tekguru.co.uk/PPC_Reviews/stowaway/index.htm</a><br /><br />Tekguru.co.uk has posted a review of the new Stowaway keyboard. As usual, the Stowaway walks away with a winning mark.

bblock
02-14-2002, 07:53 PM
What I can't wait for is a comparison (or review) of Compaq's keyboard for the 3800 series. Anyone heard anything?

marlof
02-14-2002, 10:34 PM
All I can tell you is that I ordered a Compaq Foldable Keyboard. I have a Jornada Stowaway, so that would enable me to compare the two. I'll keep you posted as soon as the Compaq Keyboard arrives ( although it keeps getting delayed ).

Ed Hansberry
02-14-2002, 11:15 PM
Still no word on the availablity of the adapter for existing 3600 keyboard users moving to a 3800. :cry:

Gerard
02-14-2002, 11:22 PM
Well, though not for the faint of heart, Tekguru's report that the special hotkeys are not re-assignable is not that hard. Just use a registry editor to browse to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\BuiltIn\Stowaway
then find the 8 strings named "HotKeyA1", "HotKeyA2", etcetera, and edit the data to add the full path to whatever EXE file you prefer. The only problem remaining is the decal labelling the key functions. These 8 strings correspond with the 4 hotkeys on the right, both tap and Fn+tap functions. A soft reset is required to complete the re-assignment. I wrote this up in full in my review of the Casio version for PocketNow.com.

Gerard
02-15-2002, 08:26 PM
TekGuru used that! I've never had my posts pinched without a quote before. :(
Well, I'm happy he added the regedit anyway. It's a useful thing for me, as I haven't opened Tasks in a year (except by accident when I was first testing the Stowaway), and Money for a year and a half (except by accident when...).
I have set up these two as Pocket IE and MultiIE. The former is obvious, the latter because MultiIE often disappears from the PIE toolbar, but can still be activated partially by use of a shortcut. A soft reset fixes this bug, but with the Stowaway I have fast access to 'open in new window' without the bother of going offline for a reset. I have the Inbox key set as Casio Mobile E-mailer too, as MS Inbox is of little interest to me.
Way to go, TekGuru!