View Full Version : Messenger Virus?

Jason Dunn
02-13-2002, 11:27 PM
So how many of you just got this message sent to you by people on your contact list?<br /><br /><i>URGENT - Go to <a href="http://www.rjdesigns.co.uk/cool">http://www.rjdesigns.co.uk/cool</a> Now</i><br /><br />I've just had seven people send that to me in the past three minutes, and none of them actually typed it in and sent it. Someone has obviously discovered a security hole in Messenger and they're exploiting it. Not good at all!

beyondallcom
02-13-2002, 11:31 PM
Jason,

Well, welcome to the world of exploits! I hate all of these problems with AIM, MSN and yada yada... these are ALOT of exploits for MSN messnger and AIM, just becareful and watch for updates and hoope they fix these problems.

- Kevin

Tycho Morgan
02-13-2002, 11:54 PM
I just got one, from Marlof...

RLBogue
02-14-2002, 12:36 AM
Jason - At least I didn't send you one ;)

Judie Lipsett Hughes
02-14-2002, 12:43 AM
I had one from Marlof and two from Beth, it really freaked me out!

DrtyBlvd
02-14-2002, 01:13 AM
Well I DIDN'T and I'm a little upset.

Might be being over sensitive though.

db

:lol:

James
02-14-2002, 01:46 AM
It's not a Messenger virus, but an exploit of the document.open() vuln in IE (that's already got a patch out I think...). It just happens that rather than mail it to everyone, the jerks that wrote it used Messenger to get everyone to go to their webpage. They could just as easily (and probably more successfully) use ICQ or AIM.

marlof
02-14-2002, 01:47 AM
I was freaked! I got one from a not to be mentioned person at MS, I clicked the link, and suddenly I was told by everyone "what's on the page" as if I sent the link.... sigh.

Here's how the Windows Messenger virus works: When you click the link, a blank web page comes up, which mines all the buddy list information, sends it to another web page, which sends them to a hotmail account and also sends the same virus IMs to all these buddies. These web sites are shutdown and the hotmail account is now closed.

It is stated that http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/critical/q316059/default.asp patches this hole.

Trade Wind
02-14-2002, 05:07 AM
Glad to see some balance in this thread at least! Other forums are just horrible!

At any rate, MSN is releasing an updated version of the Messenger client, scheduled for tonight. It will also include a fix for this particular issue.

@ http://messenger.msn.com

Cheers,

Paul

normaldude
02-14-2002, 06:52 AM
Get Trillian. Communicate with ICQ/AIM/MSN/Yahoo instant messengers.. all with one small, free program.

http://www.trillian.cc

Jason Dunn
02-14-2002, 07:10 AM
Glad to see some balance in this thread at least! Other forums are just horrible!

Can I ask what you mean by that? We're happy to improve! 8)

Trade Wind
02-14-2002, 08:01 AM
Hello Jason,

My apologies. I wasn't very clear. I was slightly exasperated at some of the lack of information in other forums on the net (those focused on desktop machines only)...I was pleased to see the correct details here. :)

Thumbs up!

FWIW...Messenger build 4.6.0076 was just RTW.

Trade Wind
02-14-2002, 08:12 AM
Get Trillian. Communicate with ICQ/AIM/MSN/Yahoo instant messengers.. all with one small, free program.

Is Trillian still blocked from communicating with AIM servers? I've lost track of the IM wars lately.

Perry Reed
02-14-2002, 02:22 PM

Is Trillian still blocked from communicating with AIM servers? I've lost track of the IM wars lately.

As of the this morning it still is. Stupid AOL...

JJ
02-14-2002, 03:59 PM

As of the this morning it still is. Stupid AOL...

What Trillian version are you running? I've been running the latest version (0.724) and have no problem with AIM at all.

Perry Reed
02-14-2002, 04:04 PM
What Trillian version are you running? I've been running the latest version (0.724) and have no problem with AIM at all.

I'm running 0.724 also. It logs me in but then shows none of my buddies as being online. When I use the AIM client I can see that several are, in fact, logged on.

normaldude
02-14-2002, 06:25 PM

If you have the latest version of Trillian (0.724), there are no problems. If you're using Trillian 0.724 and still can't connect to AIM, try the AIM patch from the front page of the Trillian website.

normaldude
02-14-2002, 06:27 PM
I'm running 0.724 also. It logs me in but then shows none of my buddies as being online. When I use the AIM client I can see that several are, in fact, logged on.

Try the latest AIM patch from the front page of the Trillian website.

dunneldeen
02-14-2002, 10:29 PM
If you install the 0.724 version, then install the patch highlited in red on their page, AIM will work fine. Trillian does beat the competition hands down in my opinion, at least when AIM works it does.

Perry Reed
02-14-2002, 11:06 PM
If you install the 0.724 version, then install the patch highlited in red on their page, AIM will work fine. Trillian does beat the competition hands down in my opinion, at least when AIM works it does.

Thanks to you all! I dl'd the AIM patch and now Trillian is working great.

James
02-15-2002, 02:23 AM

I'm sure it won't be long before the folks at AOHell "fix" that for you. :?

spg
02-15-2002, 05:30 PM
:cry: No one sent this message to me. I so sad I think I could cry.

:lol: ~Spencer

P.S. Trillian is the best!

JJ
02-15-2002, 10:42 PM

I'm sure it won't be long before the folks at AOHell "fix" that for you. :?

Well, unfortunately you were right. AOL sure is going way out of its way to block Trillian users. AOL is now kicking Trillian users off its network after about 2 to 3 minutes of connection.

James
02-16-2002, 01:11 AM
Well, unfortunately you were right. AOL sure is going way out of its way to block Trillian users. AOL is now kicking Trillian users off its network after about 2 to 3 minutes of connection.

they're also trying to avoid a standard for instant messaging. Last time I looked they'd convinced Yahoo to join them...but the rest of the world was getting on board with the IETF.

spg
02-17-2002, 01:06 AM

Yup, and they give you a right nice message as well -
"You have been disconnected from the AOL Instant Message Service (SM) for accessing the AOL network using unauthorized software. You can download a FREE, fully featured, and authorized client, here http://www.aol.com/aim/download2.html." :roll:

Ok, AOL listen to this- :x I don't want a fully featured one network client! I want a fully featured multi-network client. Oh well, I suspect Trillian will have a patch for it in the next few days.

James
02-17-2002, 04:41 AM
Ok, AOL listen to this- :x I don't want a fully featured one network client! I want a fully featured multi-network client. Oh well, I suspect Trillian will have a patch for it in the next few days.

They've proven time and again they're incapable of listening. It's too bad the world can't see the real evil empire at work behind the scenes while they're all focused on Microsoft. AOL/Time Warner embodies everything bad about corporate America.

Dave Conger
02-17-2002, 08:02 AM
It's too bad the world can't see the real evil empire at work behind the scenes while they're all focused on Microsoft. AOL/Time Warner embodies everything bad about corporate America.

AOL wants to be secure. Though this isn't going to happen since you can easily exploit AIM through Linux, they feel if their software is the only thing running on their network, they are in control of it. Them being in control means you get "better service." Remember they released the source code for a limited time (I still have an AIM client built in VB), but then pulled it and released a new version that was not compatible with the code. Go figure.

spg
02-17-2002, 06:39 PM
They've proven time and again they're incapable of listening. It's too bad the world can't see the real evil empire at work behind the scenes while they're all focused on Microsoft. AOL/Time Warner embodies everything bad about corporate America.

They have done that for a fact, it seems AOL is completely deaf to consumer wants and demands. I think Microsoft is a great company, pushing for true innovation in the technology realm. AOL is taking advantage of the non-experienced computer users, making them like their products and thus you have the AOL domination. I was completely shocked when their merger with Time Warner went through, with that move they were allowing a monopoly like corporate America has never seen.

Oh, and pdadave, you were quoting daniel not me. But none the less-

AOL wants to be secure. Though this isn't going to happen since you can easily exploit AIM through Linux, they feel if their software is the only thing running on their network, they are in control of it. Them being in control means you get "better service."

Yup, us stupid idots who don't work for AOL don't know what we really need. :twisted: (NOTE: no offense implied with that last comment!)

Dave Conger
02-17-2002, 07:14 PM
Yup, us stupid idots who don't work for AOL don't know what we really need. :twisted: (NOTE: no offense implied with that last comment!)

Technically, in AOL's eyes, most people don't. Since you (and I) probably don't understand how there network is run and what "plan" they have on running it, we can say things we want to see but they might not really fit into how AOL wants to play the game.

James
02-17-2002, 08:26 PM
consumer wants and demands. I think Microsoft is a great company, pushing for true innovation in the technology realm. AOL is taking advantage of the non-experienced computer users, making them like

One of things few people realize is that Microsoft spends millions on usability research. If you've never had the pleasure, it's quite an intriguing and worthwhile process. They have people come in and spend time using their products (or they go to you home, work, etc.) and watch you use it. Then they take your comments and make changes to the product (and I know they make the changes because of I've seen the results and been able to say "that's there because I said something about it).

their products and thus you have the AOL domination. I was completely shocked when their merger with Time Warner went through, with that move they were allowing a monopoly like corporate America has never seen.

It shocked me too. But then with the world focused on Microsoft as the Devil Incarnate, there can't possibly be anything worse out there.

None taken - but you just know that that's how they're thinking "we're out to save the world"

James
02-17-2002, 08:27 PM
Technically, in AOL's eyes, most people don't. Since you (and I) probably don't understand how there network is run and what "plan" they have on running it, we can say things we want to see but they might not really fit into how AOL wants to play the game.

&lt;sarcasm>
But we couldn't possibly have any valuable input because we don't work for AOL and they're the only ones that know how to do anything (despite the fact that the world existed long before they arrived to save us)
&lt;/sarcasm>

spg
02-17-2002, 09:23 PM
One of things few people realize is that Microsoft spends millions on usability research. If you've never had the pleasure, it's quite an intriguing and worthwhile process. They have people come in and spend time using their products (or they go to you home, work, etc.) and watch you use it. Then they take your comments and make changes to the product (and I know they make the changes because of I've seen the results and been able to say "that's there because I said something about it).

Very True, I for one though have known about it for a good long while. I have wanted to participate in some of the studies, but I live to far away. You lucky Remondite :wink:.

&lt;sarcasm>
But we couldn't possibly have any valuable input because we don't work for AOL and they're the only ones that know how to do anything (despite the fact that the world existed long before they arrived to save us)
&lt;/sarcasm>

&lt;sarcasm>
Thank you Peter, This is SPG reporting for world news tonight I have with me one very, very grateful AOL user. She has asked that we not put her name on the air, but this is what she had to say- "I was lost and drowning in debt before AOL came along. I have a firm belief that the world would not exist in any known form had not the great ones at AOL come along. Oh hail AOL, oh hail! Thank you, and this is SPG reporting live from Nowhere, USA. (that is just south of Virginia)
&lt;/sarcasm>
:lol: Ok, that was a little off target there, but oh well.

Dave Conger
02-17-2002, 09:38 PM
&lt;sarcasm>
&lt;/sarcasm>

Just become an AOL beta tester...then your opinions matter... :wink:

...or not! Beta testers just get their QA work done quicker and cheaper.

spg
02-17-2002, 09:44 PM

...or not

NOT! :twisted:

James
02-18-2002, 03:16 AM

...or not

:evil: :!: NOT :!: :evil:

Dave Conger
02-18-2002, 03:36 AM
...or not

:evil: :!: NOT :!: :evil:

You guys are loosing me...Not not to the not?