View Full Version : Intel debuts XScale processors

Jason Dunn
02-11-2002, 07:49 PM
<a href="http://news.com.com/2100-1040-834087.html">http://news.com.com/2100-1040-834087.html</a><br /><br />Peter West sent in this article about the first official announcement of the XScale processors launching. We've been waiting for months, but the XScale has finally arrived!<br /><br />"The new processors using XScale technology will be available in two different lines, the PXA250 and the PXA210. The PXA250 will come in speeds of 200MHz, 300MHz and 400MHz and will be aimed at the handheld market. Clock speeds for the PXA210 will be 133MHz and 200MHz--lower than clock speeds for Intel's StrongARM processors--and will be aimed at entry-level handhelds and cell phones. Products with the new chips will be able to run software for devices fitted with StrongARM SA-1110 processors, including gadgets like Compaq Computer's iPaq and Hewlett-Packard's Jornada.<br /><br />Both processors will come with 64KB of on-chip cache--allowing for improved performance--as well as integrated components such as a memory controller, an LCD (liquid-crystal display) controller and an expansion controller, which will reduce power consumption."

entropy1980
02-11-2002, 08:01 PM
So when are we gonna see some in action? This is the pivot between Pocket PC and Palm. Now that Palm is moving to ARM ( i hear just ARM initially not XSCALE) Pocket PC needs to up the ante in the performance depatment which means we need 400mhz and fast.... with Palm breathing down Microsoft neck in multimedia apps and multi tasking they need to trump them with doing t better.....

vetteguy
02-11-2002, 08:18 PM
My guess would be (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) is that we probably have a little while to wait before we see any of the major vendors debut XScale devices. Compaq, HP, Casio, etc. have just dumped a lot of effort and marketing into their latest PPC2002 offerings, and unless they can effortlessly plug in an XSCALE processor I would think they would wait until they see at least a return on this round. Otherwise, it would mean 2 major product launches within a very short period of time, and for devices which will compete with each other.

Kemas
02-11-2002, 08:40 PM
I am willing to bet we won't see serious X-Scal debuts until late summer, maybe not until MS is ready to release the next OS for Pocket PCs.

Be advised that the Fujitsu PDA has an X-Scale processor though. So the new boys may have them earlier.

My guess is that form factors will start to change with the new processor if at all possible. That could be the killing blow to compaq and now HP should htat happen. Once you create an aftermarket you create some brand loyalty. Take away the after market of one device to replace with another..... well, you start from stratch. The next 12 months should be interesting as PDAs come into their own for business.

nwarren
02-11-2002, 11:40 PM
Mmmm-mmmmmmmmm mmmm mmmmmm!!!

That's me not being able to say something because of my non-disclosure agreement. Oooo it's frustrating!! Jason, you must have this all the time!! I bet you know loads about the Xscale schedules!!

Suffice it two say, I've been told a release date from one Pocket PC manufacturer that's not two long away! :wink:

Jason Dunn
02-11-2002, 11:43 PM
My guess is that form factors will start to change with the new processor if at all possible.

I don't think you'll see any form factors changing until they get into some major board-level integration. Right now Pocket PCs are build with off the shelf parts...how do you think Palm got the V to be so small? Great engineering of integrated components. Until a Pocket PC OEM steps up to do that, Pocket PCs will continue to be "big".

philfp
02-19-2002, 03:32 PM
Be advised that the Fujitsu PDA has an X-Scale processor though. So the new boys may have them earlier.

Interesting that Fujitsu in this context is the PC manufacturer Fujitsu Siemens. Other bits of Fujitsu (particularly in the retail segment) have been producing CE boxes for years. I've played with CE tablet PC and handhelds over the years and FJ certainly know what they are doing in this arena.

However, a retail PPC device is another matter. I'd love to get my hands on one.