View Full Version : TDK BluePaq for iPaq

merlin
02-08-2002, 07:38 AM
This Bluetooth sleeve looks slick !!
It looks like it has a CF II slot too.

http://www.alltalking.com/devices/tdk00005.htm

James
02-09-2002, 07:15 AM
That does look quite cool, but only 50 available world wide? Not that I need one since I have a 3870, but 50 sure seems like a small number for a production run...

Dave Conger
02-09-2002, 08:17 PM
...but 50 sure seems like a small number for a production run...

LOL...yeah, 50 is definantly not a production run. In my previous job we had well over 50 products built at a time, strickly for testing.

Unless this is kind of like those gold and platnium plated phones...you'll never see anyone with you phone...or your sleeve.

James
02-09-2002, 09:08 PM
yeah...50 strikes me as a beta set that you have to pay for 8O

Dave Conger
02-09-2002, 11:27 PM

Haha...pay for? I don't know of many people that really would want to pay for a beta of most products. Except for the RC's, these can be pretty shotty products.

spg
02-16-2002, 02:53 AM

Yeah, it does strike me as odd. Doesn't seem like a beta, doesn't seem like a real public release. Maybe it is a public release protoype :D? I agree it looks like a very slick product, but the distribution doesn't make any sense.

Dave Conger
02-17-2002, 07:57 AM
Yeah, it does strike me as odd. Doesn't seem like a beta, doesn't seem like a real public release. Maybe it is a public release protoype :D? I agree it looks like a very slick product, but the distribution doesn't make any sense.

Actually it does seem like a beta....not a prototype. A beta run would probably be 50 hand built devices (though they might be machine built, it is likely they weren’t), but a prototype run wouldn't probably be that many. We are talking about a pretty specific product that works on only like four devices that are all very similar. A prototype run of 50 could be a little excessive...at least my opinion.

James
02-17-2002, 08:01 PM

ewww...they're selling Alpha-ware! Haven't seen that in awhile from a large manufacturer.

James
02-17-2002, 08:03 PM
Actually it does seem like a beta....not a prototype. A beta run would probably be 50 hand built devices (though they might be machine built, it is likely they weren’t), but a prototype run wouldn't probably be that many. We are talking about a pretty specific product that works on only like four devices that are all very similar. A prototype run of 50 could be a little excessive...at least my opinion.

I dunno...Casio/Compaq did a prototype run around 50 of the original Cassiopiea's with Pegasus on it...I was fortunate enough to have one of those for a while.

spg
02-17-2002, 08:05 PM

A beta that you order??? A prototype that you order seems a little odd as well. Maybe they are just trying to get us interested so that we will be ready when they really do hit the market at full force.

Dave Conger
02-17-2002, 08:10 PM
I dunno...Casio/Compaq did a prototype run around 50 of the original Cassiopiea's with Pegasus on it...I was fortunate enough to have one of those for a while.

See I definatly feel that a proto. run of 50 for a PDA would be standard. Our beta runs for another consumer product was well over 200 and that product was definatly not as complex as a PDA.

Dave Conger
02-17-2002, 08:13 PM
A beta that you order??? A prototype that you order seems a little odd as well. Maybe they are just trying to get us interested so that we will be ready when they really do hit the market at full force.

I think that was our discussion. Why would they be selling a beta run. Yes, buying a prototype would not only be a little odd, but stupidly odd. Nobody wants to buy a prototype....can we say BUGGY. It could be that they want to get us interested, but then why sell them for so much? It looks like maybe they are hoping to not have to take a loss from the cost of making them.

philfp
02-18-2002, 01:24 PM
Not sure that I like the look of the thing actually. Maybe I've just got too used to the current CF expansion pack having smooth sides and a flat back but this thing looks uncomfortable to hold.

Are the side panels merely ribbed for our enjoyment? :wink: