View Full Version : The best deal on CompactFlash cards I've seen

Jason Dunn
02-07-2002, 08:54 PM
I posted about this two weeks ago, but that was of course lost in the great crash of '02. We partnered with a company called Aaronix Express, primarily because they have excellent prices on CompactFlash memory cards. I've heard back from a few people who ordered through them, and they've been very pleased with the service & product. Here are the latest prices - all are Type 1 and will work in any Pocket PC with a CF card slot.<br /><br /><a href="http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?aaronix+Efzccr+51comflascar.html">512 meg for $198</a><br /><a href="http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?aaronix+Efzccr+comflasmemda3.html">256 meg for $78</a><br /><a href="http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?aaronix+Efzccr+comflasmemda2.html">128 meg for $38</a><br /><a href="http://store.yahoo.com/cgi-bin/clink?aaronix+Efzccr+comflasmemda1.html">64 meg for $26</a><br /><br />One thing worth noting: when you're ordering, you need to manually DE-SELECT the three options that are "bundled" with the card (plastic carrying case, USB card reader, etc.). If you don't, you'll end up wondering why this inexpensive CF card is so expensive. :-)

heov
02-07-2002, 08:57 PM
works in any pocket pc, hmm. Well, I've got an iPaq, and ordered one, and can't seem to find the CF slot:) Just kidding, you might want to reword it and say that almost or ipaq with CF exansion sleeve. Or at least, "work with any pocket pc".

Jason Dunn
02-07-2002, 08:59 PM
I've edited it, although I like to thing that the readers here are smart enough to know that. :roll:

kurzon
02-07-2002, 09:14 PM
Hey Jason, do you know of any good Canadian deals?

Sparky
02-07-2002, 09:14 PM
:?: Any chance these are the dreaded Mr. Flash cards?

Jason Dunn
02-07-2002, 09:19 PM
:?: Any chance these are the dreaded Mr. Flash cards?

Nope, none at all - which is why I'm reccomending them so highly. :D

Jason Dunn
02-07-2002, 09:21 PM
Hey Jason, do you know of any good Canadian deals?

HandHeldCanada...

http://www.handheldcanada.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=H&Category_Code=M

Sparky
02-07-2002, 10:03 PM
Thanks for the reply, Jason. Glad to hear they're not Mr. Flash.

I've recently heard that some CF cards are causing right-channel noise through headphones. My HP567 has had that probelm since day 1 using a Kingston High Speed 256mb.

I'm planning on doing some testing on my own, since I have a few other smaller cards (different brands) at my disposal. Do you know if this particular brand of card causes that noise?

Jason Dunn
02-07-2002, 10:10 PM
I've recently heard that some CF cards are causing right-channel noise through headphones.

Wow - news to me! 8O The amps are so noisy and junky in every Pocket PC that I just accept the noise. I didn't think it could be caused by CF cards...hmm...

asatyss
02-07-2002, 10:15 PM
OK, maybe I don't get it, but this is weird. I order from them and they send me a card of one of these brands: Sandisk®, Kingmax®, Dane-Elec®, AVL®, Viking®, RCA®, or similar.

Is this right? I don't have any choice or anything? I just want to understand.

Jason Dunn
02-07-2002, 10:21 PM
OK, maybe I don't get it, but this is weird. I order from them and they send me a card of one of these brands: Sandisk®, Kingmax®, Dane-Elec®, AVL®, Viking®, RCA®, or similar.
Is this right? I don't have any choice or anything? I just want to understand.

Yes, that's correct - they're likely all made by the same OEM and they have a bulk contract with them. They're all good brands though, so I think you're safe. 8)

Sparky
02-07-2002, 10:26 PM
Just did a few experiments here.

I put a couple of songs that were on my 256 Kingston back into main memory. I specifically chose songs with quiet areas.

Result - Songs played of internal memory do not add background right channel noise.

Then I copied the same song onto a very old Centon 16mb card.

Result - No background noise by this method either.

So, just to be sure I'm not loosing all my marbles...I put the original card back in and...LOT'S OF BACKGROUND NOISE. It's amazing how much louder that distortion sounds after you've had a chance to hear it properly.

wilboy
02-07-2002, 11:05 PM
:cry: I attempted to purchase a 128mb CF card from this site for $38.99, however the only shipping option to Hawaii is 2nd day air. Guess how much this company wants to charge me for shipping this tiny little CF card- $42.99!!! For crying out loud... the shipping is more than the product! I find this to be a common problem when dealing w/ Internet vendors- they try to profit off the shipping price.

I've checked w/ three shippers... FedEx, UPS, and USPS Express Mail- and all are under $13.00 for next day air shipping for a CF card.

Jason Dunn
02-08-2002, 01:14 AM
:cry: I attempted to purchase a 128mb CF card from this site for $38.99, however the only shipping option to Hawaii is 2nd day air. Guess how much this company wants to charge me for shipping this tiny little CF card- $42.99!!!

Oey! 8O Sorry to hear they suck for shipping to Hawaii - you're the first person to mention this to me, so I apologize for giving them such glowing reviews without the shipping caveat. :oops:

T-Will
02-08-2002, 02:49 AM
This is sort of along the same lines of background noise, but if I hold my Toshiba E570 about 1 inch from my ear with the screen facing my ear I can hear this high pitch buzzing noise, it's very quiet though and it occurs with or without expansion cards installed.

Sparky
02-08-2002, 02:16 PM
Just finished experimenting with a few other cards:

Lexar 48mb
Kingston 128mb

Neither of these cards produced the background right channel noise that my Kingston 256mb does. Kinda wierd, since I also have the Kingston 128mb that is "clean".

I got some feedback on the Brighthand discussion boards and it looks like the Transcend cf cards also do not add any noise.

I'm going to order one of these today. Thanks fof the tip, Jason! :D

thebrix
02-08-2002, 02:34 PM
For UK users http://www.7dayshop.com/ is unbeatable and does a lot more than storage cards :)

EllenBeeman
02-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Just FYI, I have one of those "dreaded Mr. Flash" 256M cards and it works flawlessly.

---Ell

LarDude
02-09-2002, 07:34 AM
I emailed Aaronix requesting info on how to get them to deliver their
CF cards to addresses in Canada. The reply I got was
"No, Sir. Thank you"....Nice...(Thanks, buddy)... :x

Anybody in Canuckland manage to get around this?

Jason Dunn
02-09-2002, 08:09 AM
Anybody in Canuckland manage to get around this?

Check out BorderFree: http://www.borderfree.com/jsp/commercial_home.jsp

flash1845
02-14-2002, 08:43 AM
I also have one of the Mr. Flash 256 MB cards, and I don't have any problems whatsover with my ipaq 3850.

MPSmith
02-14-2002, 03:34 PM
I'm starting to hearing a lot of musings that one shouldn't buy Mr. Flash CF cards. I'll consider those arguments more readily when I read of ANY negative user ratings on their website. (unless you subcribe to the Oliver Stone-type theory that NewEgg is inventing these positive ratings). There's more than 100 ratings for the product to look at and nearly everyone rates it at 5 out of 5 stars. The only ones that rate it less than that is because apparently certain digital cameras aren't compatible with them and the user felt that Newegg incorrectly advised they WERE compatible with them.

My Mr. Flash has worked flawlessly ever since I installed it and Newegg is breaking records on quick deliveries. Other dot coms have a lot to learn from them (I won't mention any names!!!) :wink:

Just my $0.02!!!

Mike

Lotto
02-14-2002, 05:16 PM
I also have one of the Mr. Flash cards...a 256mb card I bought from Newegg.com. I have no qualms with Newegg, good prices, fast service. The Mr. Flash card on the other hand is different. While it performs fine, it drains my battery very quickly on my E-115. I have a 128 Kingston, a 80mb (and many smaller Lexar's) that do not do this to the same unit.

Take a read here for my dilema:
http://www2.pdabuzz.com/Forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33457

Buy at your own risk...just be forewarned. May be only with some units, maybe only certain size cards...I've yet to have that explained clearly from anyone with statistics.

phr0ze
04-05-2002, 10:56 PM
I buy my CF cards locally. I get the Lexar 256 Meg High speed 12x cards for $149. I'm sure its even cheaper on the net but I only go lexar. Plus I pay no shipping. LAter.