View Full Version : 2002 upgrade for 31xx and 36xx

fred_c
02-07-2002, 06:22 AM
does anyone know if these are the same? i have an upgrade for a 36xx and own a 31xx...thanks!

Jason Dunn
02-07-2002, 07:37 AM
Definitely not for the 31xx - I tried it once with a 36xx and it trashed the 31xx. They have a specific version coming for the 31xx greyscale devices...

Dave Conger
02-07-2002, 07:23 PM
They have a specific version coming for the 31xx greyscale devices...

Are we ever going to get to see this or did I miss it?

Jason Dunn
02-07-2002, 08:40 PM
Are we ever going to get to see this or did I miss it?

Apparently it has just started appearing in people's hands... :)

wseto
02-17-2002, 09:35 AM
I just got it last week. (Ordered it Sept. 14, finally received in Feb... gotta say 5 months is quite a while to wait for it)

The upgrade went smoothly.... till I restored a CF Backup that I did with Pocket PC 2000 onto it... Then Activesync stopped working... However, a hard reset cleaned things up.

Don't install Compaq's dashboard cause it really eats up *alot* of memory that the 16Meg 3100's can't spare, plus it *really* slows down the pocket pc.

There's not much room to install all the things that were built in with 2000. I'm not sure if the upgrade was worth the $40 and the reduced memory space.

One thing that I've noticed is that the with 2002, the battery doesn't last as long as 2000. Has anybody else noticed similar results?

Wilson

philfp
02-18-2002, 08:16 PM
One thing that I've noticed is that the with 2002, the battery doesn't last as long as 2000. Has anybody else noticed similar results?

Yes I did, although I improved matters significantly on my Compaq 3630 by turning off the "always on" IRDA receive mode. To turn this off, go to Settings -> Connections -> Beam and deselect the check box which reads Receive all incoming beams and select discoverable mode

Don't know if this will work for you. I hope it does. Battery life is not wonderful to start with, so anything which degrades it is worth turning off!

Regards,

Phil

Jkalka
02-20-2002, 10:37 AM
I saw substantial battery life degradation on my 3650 when I upgraded it to PPC2002 as well. Even when I turned off the active IR, I still was disappointed.

philfp
02-20-2002, 10:57 AM
I saw substantial battery life degradation on my 3650 when I upgraded it to PPC2002 as well. Even when I turned off the active IR, I still was disappointed.

Who knows...? Maybe Microsoft will get nice and fix this in Service Pack 2? What could be causing the problem then? The backlight doesn't seem any brighter than before. The audio seems a little louder but I don't play that many sounds anyway. Hmmm...

Dave Conger
02-20-2002, 07:02 PM
Who knows...? Maybe Microsoft will get nice and fix this in Service Pack 2? What could be causing the problem then? The backlight doesn't seem any brighter than before. The audio seems a little louder but I don't play that many sounds anyway. Hmmm...

But remember, companies would rather have to buy a new PDA then upgrade your old one. They make little to no money in an upgrade. That is why on the letter that came with Pocket PC 2002 for the iPAQ they said, "...we hope you decide to buy a new Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC in the future (soon)..."

wseto
04-07-2002, 01:17 AM
It took a while for Compaq to add a pull down to their support menu for PocketPC2002 support on the 3100...

In short, the upgrade works, and there's no longer that %&*#($ annoying LOUD pop before anything plays on the speaker, eventhough it's not listed as being anything they fixed with this update... wonder what other things they changed/fixed, but didn't list.

Since my 3150 only has 16 Megs of memory, I had to do a hard reset to get enough space to run the upgrade. (Backup'd all my stuff onto a CF card first.) I copied the cab file only the compact flash card before running it , I'm not sure if you can do it using only the built in memory... it doesn't look like there's enough room cause the cab file is 8.6 Megs and expands a bunch of files before running the upgrade.

The compaq site says the upgrade say it'll take 7 minutes to flash.. I didn't time mine, but it took a *long* time, enough so that I was getting worried that something had gone wrong... but everything was okay.
After that, I restored the CFbackup and everything was reinstalled.

It was alot more painless than the PPC2000 to PPC2002 upgrade.

I haven't had a chance to run the IPAQ till it drained, so don't know if they improved battery usage with this fix or not..

Wilson

Coralie
10-14-2002, 08:45 AM
i know this is an old topic now, but i was so relieved to find that it wasn't just me that thought the upgrade to 2002 sucked a lot more battery than the old os.

i solved this by spending bucket loads (isn't that always the case with these things?) on a cf jacket plus, with the extended battery. i don't get battery warnings before the end of the day anymore.