View Full Version : Gotta love the ads

Dave Conger
02-06-2002, 03:13 AM
I just couldn't resist posting a link to this ad Dale had up on Pocket PC Passion.

http://www.pocketpcpassion.com/images/02Feb/IMG_1534.JPG

Another great comparison of Pocket PC 2002 vs. that other OS. Maybe I am a little bias, but I don't think that Palm can advertise their product like that.

Chima
02-06-2002, 03:49 PM
That's it....... You've convinced me. I'm not switching back to that other OS :)

It is a pretty good demo of some of the reasons for trading up. As much as one waxes lyrical about 'clean, utilitarian' interfaces, it is clear that GUIs won the race against text only interfaces.

One day, the rest of the world will come down that path to our doors......

Chima

Dave Conger
02-06-2002, 09:01 PM
Anyone what what software that is running on the iPAQ in the ad? Or is it just Pocket IE with a webpage?

James
02-06-2002, 10:29 PM
Anyone what what software that is running on the iPAQ in the ad? Or is it just Pocket IE with a webpage?

It's PocketIE showing the KOMO TV websites weather page. It's an even better ad in person - especially on the buses around Seattle ;) It's also all around SeaTac and a couple other airports.

Dave Conger
02-06-2002, 11:10 PM
Cool. I will have to look for it next time I am up in Seattle.

Tycho Morgan
02-07-2002, 01:59 AM
My good ole' town (St. Louis MO, USA) hasn't even started to see Palm inc. ads, let alone Pocket PC ads.

I'm starting to wonder, is my city just behind the curve?

Cheers,

Dave Conger
02-07-2002, 05:08 AM
I never saw many Palm or Pocket PC ads in Portland either.

JonnoB
02-07-2002, 06:41 PM
Much of the time, you can illustrate the power of a computer with an awesome game. A 3D style game like the one screenshot on Thoughts yesterday would go a long way to convincing hardcore geeks to see the PocketPC light.

Dave Conger
02-07-2002, 07:21 PM
...convincing hardcore geeks to see the PocketPC light.

Though some of those hardcore geeks hate "M$" with a passion!

James
02-08-2002, 03:39 AM
Though some of those hardcore geeks hate "M$" with a passion!

Indeed. The attitude that some of those folks has always amazed me... Sometimes I think it's just plain jealousy.

Dave Conger
02-08-2002, 04:24 AM
I do understand their point though. Microsoft is a monopoly in some ways. I don't think that really terrible, they made good moves to make sure their company propered. It makes sense. I can see why Linux is a great think. For "hackers" and developers it is a great system that you can get right to the guts of and do whatever you want.

So I think it could be a hard task to bring some of the hardcore geeks to see that Pocket PC is a robust mobile OS, but I actually think this could come through distubutes of Pocket Linux. One of my good friends, a "hardcore geek"...runs linux on all his machines, but still bought an iPAQ and has been known to use Pocket PC 2K2 along with Pocket Linux.

James
02-08-2002, 04:15 PM
I do understand their point though. Microsoft is a monopoly in some ways. I don't think that really terrible, they made good moves to make
I understand some of their points too. I think they harm themselves and their cause ("Free" Software everywhere) more than anyone does. "Free Software" is anything but free.

And, Microsoft has certainly done some things they shouldn't have. But these days success seems to guarantee that the folks who couldn't make a product that consumers wanted will find other ways to "compete".

Dave Conger
02-08-2002, 06:23 PM
I understand some of their points too. I think they harm themselves and their cause ("Free" Software everywhere) more than anyone does. "Free Software" is anything but free.

And, Microsoft has certainly done some things they shouldn't have. But these days success seems to guarantee that the folks who couldn't make a product that consumers wanted will find other ways to "compete".

Agreed