View Full Version : Power Problems after upgrade

vetteguy
02-05-2002, 07:46 PM
I upgraded my 568 last week to the new firmware and software, and have been having power problems ever since. Yesterday, I had the normal battery in the Jornada, fully charged on the cradle. I took it out of the cradle, inserted the Symbol wireless card, and turned the unit off. I walked to a meeting 5 minutes away, and sat down to turn on the Jornada. I was met with a "Main Battery Very Low" message, and the status meter showed 0 bars left. I brought it back and recharged it on the cradle (which took over 2 hours). Today, I had the extended battery pack (which I JUST BOUGHT this weekend) installed. It waas fully charged. I took the Jornada off the cradle and put it in my desk while I went out to lunch. (It was turned off at this time). When I came back, what do you know? "Main Battery Very Low" and no status bars on the meter. What is going on? Is something draining my battery even when the unit is off now? Or is there a glitch that is reporting the power level incorrectly? Anyone else notice this?

Jason Dunn
02-05-2002, 09:34 PM
I haven't noticed that, but I haven't used my 802.11b card in my Jornada since I did the update. I'll post something if I find the same thing...

JohnnyFlash
02-06-2002, 02:42 AM
I have had an instance or two where the Jornada was not seated correctly on the cradle. This is a new 568 and new cradle. At the office my Jornada sits near a window, and I think the outside light was washing out the fact that the charge light was not on. Interestingly ActiveSync kicked in, so those pins were making good contact. Since it was on the cradle and I have it set for continuous sync, the Jornada stayed on, draining the battery. Not totally thankfully. I discovered the draining battery sort of by accident.

I have since been more careful to ensure the charge light comes on when I dock my 568. Hopefully this is all that might have happenned to you.

ironguy
02-11-2002, 05:11 PM
After I upgraded my 568, I noticed that the sidelight got extremely hot. I don't mean warm, but hot. I did a hard reset and this solved the problem. It makes me wonder if the upgrade changfed something in the power structure of the unit. Have you done a hard reset since upgrading?