View Full Version : Pocket PC Thoughts is resurrected...sort of

Jason Dunn
02-05-2002, 08:14 AM
What a weekend! The day I start moving into a new house, the server fails. I spent the entire weekend moving boxes, unpacking boxes, and assembling Ikea furniture, trying to get an Internet connection, all the while hoping that <a href="http://www.pocketmatrix.com">Chris Edwards</a> and his PHP skills could pull off the challenge of ressurecting this site in 48 hours. He did it! Chris, I owe you one.<br /><br />So what are you seeing here? We've quickly tied together phpBB, a PHP-based freeware discussion board forum that is well-known for it's stability and speed. Chris had created a custom modification for his own site that allowed certain posts to be tagged as "front page news". So on the back-end you have the power and flexibility of a full-featured discussion board, and on the front end you have a web-logging style interface. The best of both worlds!<br /><br />I can't stress this enough: we have a long way to go. The previous year and a half of content will be imported to create a rich, searchable database of content (I hope). I've collected hundreds of pages of content that people have emailed in, so we'll try to get that into the system. We're also working on a new template that will make the front-end on a desktop PC more interesting, and on the Pocket PC it will get leaner and meaner.<br /><br />The blow that was dealt when we lost all that content was frustrating, but ultimately this site is focused on the future, not the past. I've always had a vision for what this site could be, and we're just starting to move towards it...

JohnnyFlash
02-05-2002, 08:19 AM
Congradulations Jason! It's nice to see the site back up again. Panic was just about ready to set in. Good work on pulling it together.

JohnnyFlash
02-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Panic DID set in here, I missed the site very much. Had no idea Jason you where moving, just a tad more stress to add there eh? Well as I said in an email I sent, we still owe you MUCH for putting together the best PPC website out there and standing behind it with so much effort and time. My sincere thanks for it.

And its so nice to see you guys back!!

This BBS is beautiful, a lot better than the old one BUT two questions... 1. isn't it going to be more expensive bandwidth-wise? 2. How is this going to look in my PPC screen? (well I dont do wireless but I know people who read pocketpcthoughts.com from their ppc.

BTW my iPaq is over Compaq service. Blew it up. Connected it to a 12V powersource by error. One of those multivoltage adapters, had the voltage selection switche in wrong pos. I heard a buzz, it smelled bad... funny thing is the iPaq is still working, but it does not taka a charge. Opened it up, and a surface mounted component nead the DC entrance is fused... darn, yesterday was a BAD day and to top it off... I cannot try the new pocketinformant.

Best wishes Jason and company, thanks again!

Juan Miguel Venturello

Jason Dunn
02-05-2002, 08:31 AM
We have a LOT of work do to with some new templates, so you're right, this current phpBB default template won't look good on the Pocket PC. This is just an emergency patch...things will improve. :lol:

JohnnyFlash
02-05-2002, 09:03 AM
The sad subtext of your mishap is an important one: if it's important, back it up.

Glad you're on line again.

Chris Forsberg
02-05-2002, 09:23 AM
Congratulations Jason!

It's really great you're up an running again and I think that the forums look great. Nice to be one of the first members here!

Keep up the good work and be sure to take some off-site backups :wink:

harry
02-05-2002, 09:59 AM
The site looks good!! And moving just sucks. Congrats on your new house!! :D

nwarren
02-05-2002, 10:02 AM
Great new look! I didn't realise how many times I visit Thoughts, until I started getting really fed up with 'Clunk...' !!! :D

I haven't had a chance to check, but I presume Thoughts is still available via Avantgo? (I haven't managed to get on with Mazingo yet!!)

I hope the new house proves to be a dream come true.

michael
02-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Welcome Back!

Mr. Anonymous
02-05-2002, 02:45 PM
Welcome back! I'm recovering quite nicely from the effects of PocketPCThoughts.com withdrawl :)

DualShock
02-05-2002, 02:49 PM
SWEET!!!! love the forums! :D

fulltilt
02-05-2002, 02:55 PM
It's funny, a few of the guys at my work were having withdrawal problems while the site was down...so glad it's back. :lol:

JohnnyFlash
02-05-2002, 03:52 PM
Commuting by train was getting boring without PocketPCThoughts!! Glad that you're back!!!!

And the comments are sorted in the RIGHT order! :wink:

Great work Thoughts-Team!

Markus

JohnnyFlash
02-05-2002, 03:53 PM
You're back! Wheee! :D

JohnnyFlash
02-05-2002, 04:04 PM
Welcome back! Must say the new digs look very cool!

[Cruzer]
02-05-2002, 06:24 PM
Just wondering.. :)

wesk
02-05-2002, 06:47 PM
Welcome back Jason & PCThoughts team!

Great new look for the forums. I'm looking forward to the other changes.

Keep up the great work. :D

Wes

Dave Conger
02-05-2002, 06:52 PM
Great to have you back Jason and team...keep the news flowing!!

chrish01
02-05-2002, 07:59 PM
I kept clicking on your link in Favourites, and only found a clunk. Hadn't realised how much I visited the site. Thank you for all your effort in running the site - and getting it back so quickly. Hope the new house is OK

Jne
02-05-2002, 10:28 PM
Glad to see you again
Two (or may be four) thumbs up to Chris E. for his brilliant work !

Daniel
02-05-2002, 11:23 PM
I am also very happy that you're back Jason. I kept visiting your site to make sure I wasn't missing anything! I hope that you manage to sort your server dramas out without too much (more) gnashing of teeth.

Go PocketPCThoughts team!

Daniel

JohnnyFlash
02-05-2002, 11:25 PM
:oops: I hope backups are now being kept up to date...

m.

DrtyBlvd
02-06-2002, 03:18 AM
From the very very very first days of surfing absolutely every-bloody-where on teh web, it has distilled to a more managable 3 or four sites - so when one of 'em ain't there, the online time is shorter!

Welcome back.

Mike Wagstaff
02-06-2002, 04:28 AM
Welcome back, Jason! It's nice to have the best PPC site on the web back in business. :)

Ketsugi
02-06-2002, 05:36 AM
The site looks... the same as always. The forums look great! I do feel the previous comments system for news posts was a lot simpler to use and felt less cluttered, which was one of the great appeals it had, but that's not to say that this system is any worse... just... different, I guess. Not that you needed to read this to know that. :P

jeffmckean
02-06-2002, 09:27 AM
:D Thank God you're back! The withdrawal symptoms were horrible! Congratulations on moving and gettin' back on line! That Chris is quite a guy too!

karen
02-06-2002, 09:01 PM
my e-mail about how a thousand of your pages are cached at google.com?

Seems like it might be interesting for you to grab all those, even if you don't want to publish them.

Karen