View Full Version : Pocket Informant 3.0 prerelease

marlof
02-05-2002, 03:19 AM
<a href="http://www.pocketinformant.com/PI3.asp">http://www.pocketinformant.com/PI3.asp</a><br /><br />Many people have been waiting for Pocket Informant 3 to arrive. On PocketNow, there was already a <a href="http://reviews.pocketnow.com/content.cgi?db=reviews&id=223">preview</a> and now you can test the prerelease version for yourself. Remember: this is not the final code, and there are several known issues. Read the page carefully, and then decide if you want to test this on your device.

JohnnyFlash
02-05-2002, 09:09 AM
I think pocket informant is a great program, but like others, I wish that it had a yearly view among other things.

Ed Hansberry
02-05-2002, 01:41 PM
I've been using PI 3.0 since Sunday afternoon. Very nice. It is just different enough from 2.6 that you really need to step back when using it and not expect it to be just a continuation of PI 2.6. Some things don't work yet either. Overall, I think 3.0 will be far better than 2.6 once completed.

BarnOwl
02-05-2002, 06:49 PM
I have been using PI for almost a year now and I have been anxiously awaiting 3.0 (It took some time.......)
But, I must say......3.0 looks fantastic and with all the possibilities it is definitely the best PIM for me!
Just hope they will polish it up soon and I am really looking forward to the final with the Today Plugins.

JohnnyFlash
02-05-2002, 10:41 PM
PI's 3.0 Pre-release is looks good, but that toolbar on the right hand side takes up too much space, especially in the weekview.

Ed Hansberry
02-05-2002, 11:05 PM
PI's 3.0 Pre-release is looks good, but that toolbar on the right hand side takes up too much space, especially in the weekview.

I disagree. I'll gladly give up those few pixels for the clean simplicty of the rest of the UI. Having 5-6 tabs down at the bottom was too jumbled. He would need at least 7 to accomplish what those 4 along the side do.

Jeff Rutledge
02-05-2002, 11:52 PM

I disagree. I'll gladly give up those few pixels for the clean simplicty of the rest of the UI. Having 5-6 tabs down at the bottom was too jumbled. He would need at least 7 to accomplish what those 4 along the side do.

I agree. I have been using PI3 for a while. It takes a bit of time to get used to the new UI, but now that I am, I won't look back.

JohnnyFlash
02-06-2002, 12:02 AM
The first time I tried PI it didn't perform well. That was long before 2.6. How does the 3pre perform? Is it as fast as the built-in PIM apps for simple things like name/number lookups?

m.

Jeff Rutledge
02-06-2002, 12:14 AM
The first time I tried PI it didn't perform well. That was long before 2.6. How does the 3pre perform? Is it as fast as the built-in PIM apps for simple things like name/number lookups?

m.

There was a big speed increase in one of the versions (2.5b maybe?). At any rate, PI3 is as fast as I think a PPC PIM can run. I have a lot of appointments and tasks and I never find myself waiting for them to appear.

JohnnyFlash
02-06-2002, 12:44 AM

I can understand your point of view, I have the same point of view, I would rather see more of the actual week view data. Perhaps I'd be happy if the right hand toolbar could auto-hide like the toolbar on the Windows desktop.

DrtyBlvd
02-06-2002, 03:14 AM
:?: On the home PC, I keep my contacts in First name Last Name order; In Contacts on the Casio E125, if I make an alteration to the name field, it tells me there is not enough memory and shuts down contacts; upon re-opening, the contact altered is filed in Last Name, First Name order, with the changes applied - it happens everytime - so i've learnt not to alter things or to then correct the File As on the home pc in order to keep things filed by First Name, Last name - it has happened now on all the platforms at home i have used - yet when i search for others' experience, i find no mention of it - has anyone else had the same problem, and, more topically, does anyone know if PI 3.0 suffers the same problem at all?