View Full Version : Three In A Row: No More Canon Cameras for Me

Mike Temporale
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://mike.temporale.com/archive/2008/02/09/914.aspx' target='_blank'>http://mike.temporale.com/archive/2.../02/09/914.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><p><em>The following is a post I made on my </em><a href="http://mike.temporale.com/" target="_blank"><em>perosnal blog</em></a><em> a couple weeks back, in regards to my frustration and dissatisfaction with my Canon camera's. Jason asked if I would be interested in sharing this with the Digital Home Thoughts community as there is a great interest in camera's and it could prove valuable information to anyone thinking of buying a camera in the near future. Since this post was written, I have purchased a Nikon s700 P&amp;S camera and have been very happy with it. And for the record, I'm still waiting for my Canon to return from repair. </em></p><p>I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but time has run out and Canon has proved to me that they don't know anything about building a quality camera. The overall pictures and performance of their cameras are good, but the build quality and life expectancy is poor to say the least. <br /><br />My first digital camera was the Canon G1 - a great semi-pro camera. I purchased the extended warranty on it - something I normally wouldn't do. However this time the price of the camera, $1300 or so, made me think twice and it turned out to be a good thing. About 6 months into the extended warranty the camera would no longer charge. I sent it in for repair and it turns out some small part of the internal charger died and had to be replaced. Total cost would have been $350. :-( Thankfully it was covered and I didn't pay a dime - just lost the use of the camera for a month.<br /><MORE /><br /></p><p>My next camera was a pocket sized point and shoot from Canon called the S400. It seemed like a nice camera. It was much smaller than the G1 which was good for me as I now had kids and wanted something I could easily carry around with me. I didn't purchase the extended warranty on this camera because I figured the first time was a fluke. Besides, the online store I purchased from didn't offer any sort of extended warranty. So this one last about 10 months past warranty and then I started to get an error in regards to the memory card. I tested it with a number of different CF cards and all of them produced the same error. A quick Google search on that error shows that everyone and their brother was having the same problem with that camera and it was related to moisture getting inside the body. Putting it under a hot lamp for a couple hours would help. But only for a short time. :-(<br /><br />So that takes me to camera #3 - an even smaller point and shoot from Canon called the SD700 IS. Overall a very impressive camera with huge zoom and ultra fast focus. After the last 2 problems, I figured I better get this from a local store and make sure I get the extended warranty. Good thing I did - this time it lasted just 5 months into the extended warranty when the camera would no longer focus if I zoomed in at all. There was also a clunking sound when you zoomed in and out. Which wasn't there before and didn't sound good to me. Great zoom on the camera, but what good is it if I can't focus! So off it went for repairs. I just got a call from the store telling me it was back from repairs and I could pick it up anytime. Imagine my surprise when I picked it up from the store only to find that the problem wasn't actually fixed! Sure they corrected the clunking sound but they did nothing about the focus problem. ARGH! So, back it goes to get repaired for another 4 to 6 weeks. :-(<br /><br />That's 3 Canon cameras with 4 repair problems, and that's just me. I also recommended my in-laws by the Canon SD110. They purchased this from an online retailer and didn't get the extended warranty. One month after the standard warranty ended, the camera stopped working altogether. The camera wouldn't even turn on. Canon was nice enough to repair it even though it was 1 month out of warranty. To be honest, they didn't really want to fix it - it took a little convincing on my part before they would fix it. <br /><br />That's it for me. I won't buy another Canon product. There has just been too many problems and too many headaches. I was thinking of buying a DSLR and had thought about the Canon models. However, with this latest problem, you can bet I'll be looking at Nikon instead, and same goes for a small point and shoot. I don't see myself waiting another 4 weeks for this camera to come back. I think I'll be buying a new camera in the next couple weeks and then sell the SD700 IS when it's finally repaired. (I have a feeling it will require a 3rd trip back for the same problem). </p>

Jeff_R
03-02-2008, 05:23 PM
I don't have wide experience with Canon, but I will say, having handled both, that in the prosumer level Nikon has impressed me far more. The build quality just feels better; less flex, better action on buttons and levers, and personally, at a dollar for dollar level, I prefer the glass on Nikon.

Having said that, I do still like my TX1, but that's just because of all the features crammed into a pocketable package. :D

paschott
03-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Sorry to hear about your experiences with Canon. I've had a couple of them and never any major issues. Our G2 still works, though we do need a new battery and the screws came out of a good portion of the camera. That's partly my fault because I saw they were loose and never tightened them. That camera took excellent pictures as well.

We currently have an SD1000 because my wife wanted a compact point and shoot camera. That fit the bill and she loves it. I guess we'll have to see what happens in 1/2 years' time. We never had issues with the focus going away and my only major complaint on the G2 was its startup time - we lost some opportunities because of that.

-Pete

mboone
03-02-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm with you Mike - 3 Canon cameras (one DV camcorder and two digital cameras) and they have all had pretty substantial problems. No more for me either.

djdj
03-02-2008, 07:59 PM
Its funny... I still have my G1 and it works just as well as the day I bought it.

Tim Williamson
03-03-2008, 05:30 AM
I bought a used Canon EOS 10D (think it came out in 2004) and it doesn't appear to have any issues. Just bought a Canon SD870IS (P&S), so we'll see how this guy does.

Before that I had Kodak P&S that I bought in 2004 and never had any issues. And finally, my first camera was a Minolta P&S which sucked (when sounds were turned on, the menu moved slower, the flash took forever to charge, and the battery life sucked).

My parents own a Toshiba PDR-M4 (about 10 years old, uses SmartMedia) and never had any problems (other than it being old technology and the battery doesn't hold a charge anymore). Just this year they upgraded to a Sony P&S.

I did quite a bit of research before buy the SD870IS, but since it's a newer camera, I don't think we'll hear reports of it breaking down (if it does have the same issue as your Canon P&S) for a few more months at least. I went with the Canon since all the reviews seemed to say that it took the best quality pictures, and for some reason the Nikon P&S's weren't that great. So I'll be curious to see how my Canon SD870IS holds up...

cmchavez
03-03-2008, 06:47 PM
Sorry to hear about your camera woes. I have three different Canon cameras, the most recent being a 20D and I've been incredibly happy with the quality of all of them. No problems at all and the oldest of them, a Powershot S50, still works very well; currently in use by our teenagers.

I bought a Minolta point-n-shoot camera for the wife a couple of years ago. What a waste of money and time. Never again will I buy a camera that is not a Canon brand.

Tim Williamson
03-03-2008, 07:05 PM
I bought a Minolta point-n-shoot camera for the wife a couple of years ago. What a waste of money and time.

That's the truth. Not sure how their current cameras are though (I got rid of mine 4 years ago).

Jason Dunn
03-03-2008, 09:16 PM
I've said this to Mike before in IM chats, but I'll repeat it here: I've had about six Canon cameras over the years, and all have been flawless - except the SD800 I dropped on the floor, but that was my fault not the camera's. :rolleyes:

That said, I was really impressed with the Nikon Coolpix S700 (http://www.digitalhomethoughts.com/news/show/32184/the-nikon-coolpix-s700-small-with-plenty-of-options.html) I checked out, so when I replace my Canon SD870 IS, I'll be checking out what Nikon has to offer.