View Full Version : Songs/Videos Randomly Deleted From Zune 30

d_trade
01-26-2008, 09:27 AM
Hi, how's everybody doin? Well, I downloaded the 2.3 update, but even before then, if i would connect my Zune to my PC, minutes later, for no reason, songs and recently some BIG videos (that take forever to sync by the way) are deleted because i guess the software just felt like doin it.:confused: And nowadays i dread having to connect my Zune to my PC because of this annoying occurrence. I mean, right now, i'm syncing about 6 movies because of this stupid thing.:mad: I set up the wireless sync, but i don't know if that will make a difference or if it will just drain my battery. But anyway ive taken up enough space so if anyone else is having this problem and/or figured it out, please help me!!!

Gabs00
01-27-2008, 09:33 PM
I'm also having that problem. After I downloaded the 2.3 software update, the zune software started automatically deleting some songs off my zune. I synced them and disconnected the zune. Songs were there but when I connected the zune again, some of the songs I just synced got deleted. So far none of my videos have been deleted. It is very annoying indeed.

Jason Dunn
01-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Hmm. That's all quite strange - the stuff getting deleted off your Zune, is it stuff you've deleted off your PC? Because that's "normal" and the way they designed the software to work: it keeps everything in sync on the Zune with your PC. If you delete something off your PC, it's deleted off the Zune.

d_trade
01-28-2008, 11:07 PM
Hmm. That's all quite strange - the stuff getting deleted off your Zune, is it stuff you've deleted off your PC? Because that's "normal" and the way they designed the software to work: it keeps everything in sync on the Zune with your PC. If you delete something off your PC, it's deleted off the Zune.

Nope. It's songs that were always on my PC and in my collection. The songs would just show up under Device and Status as "Just Removed"

Gabs00
01-29-2008, 03:10 AM

Yesterday, I erased everything off my zune, and I have been re-syncing everything again. I have noticed, while doing this, when a song is added to an existing synced album it syncs automatically to the zune. When I changed some information on the synced song, like changing the album title and album artist of the song because it is in the wrong album and has the wrong album artist, that song gets deleted automatically off the zune.

I remember that the songs that kept getting deleted, before I erased everything, had their album title and album artist changed by the software and when I connected the zune again they were deleted.

The zune software did not do that before. Only after I downloaded the 2.3 software update.

d_trade
01-29-2008, 06:49 AM
Huh. So that's what it was. I always needed to change the names of my songs, usually because of instrumentals and whatnot, and i never noticed that those were the one's that were getting deleted. Thanks. But what about the videos? I don't think i can change the names of those, and some of those still got deleted. Hopefully all will be better with the next update.

Jason Dunn
02-01-2008, 12:38 AM
I have noticed, while doing this, when a song is added to an existing synced album it syncs automatically to the zune. When I changed some information on the synced song, like changing the album title and album artist of the song because it is in the wrong album and has the wrong album artist, that song gets deleted automatically off the zune.

Hmm. So I think this is expected behaviour, although perhaps not the best thing to do without telling the user. :rolleyes: When you drag over an album, it creates a sync relationship with that album - when you change the album metadata, the song is no longer a part of that sync relationship, so it tries to be helpful by removing it.

I think the best advice I can give you is to install MediaMonkey (http://www.mediamonkey.com), correct all your metadata, THEN sync it to the Zune. :)

PunkPrinzess
02-12-2008, 01:15 AM
I had over 300 songs on my zune when I plugged it in last night to charge. This morning, I grabbed it befofe school, and it only had 5 albums left on it! This afternoon whe I plugged it in, it swiped all music off except 1 song :mad:.
It did this once bfore to me, but in that case it took off a few songs, and then a few days later put them back. Anybody founda way to stop this?

Jason Dunn
02-12-2008, 10:35 PM
I had over 300 songs on my zune when I plugged it in last night to charge. This morning, I grabbed it befofe school, and it only had 5 albums left on it!

That's so very, very strange...I've never seen my Zune do that. Did you edit/change any of your music files/metadata in between any of the syncs? :confused:

JoeFree
02-17-2008, 06:13 AM
Well, this is the second forum this evening that is discussing the random delete issue with the new firmware and 30GB Zunes - this is happening to me as well. I have it set to manual sync, disabled wireless (30 GB won't work with my WPA2 security) and definitely have not deleted songs from the Zune library or my computer, nor have I moved the files, and I am sure the metadata is correct (random songs are removed from some albums and the metadata is consistent with all the songs on the album)! It seems as if its a firmware upgrade issue, maybe its time to downgrade my firmware until MS fixes this mess. Wish they would rethink the whole sync process - to say its broken is being charitable.

rpvee
04-14-2008, 09:20 PM
This thread gives me the impression that music stays on your Zune only if it's tags are EXACTLY as they should be before connecting the Zune, and that they can't be changed again. True?

Jason Dunn
04-15-2008, 06:25 AM
This thread gives me the impression that music stays on your Zune only if it's tags are EXACTLY as they should be before connecting the Zune, and that they can't be changed again. True?

I don't really know if I follow you - since you can't edit metadata on the Zune itself, any changes you make to the metadata on the Zune software would sync over to the Zune, even if the whole file had to be replaced (which I'm pretty sure it does).

d_trade
04-24-2008, 09:32 PM
Well I decided to come back and pay a visit, and I see this whole auto deletion thing still is a big mystery to everyone. And just an update on the latest crappiness i've had with my software: I decided to change the name of the monitored folder that I have my music in. BIG MISTAKE!!!!! I change the name, and all my songs are then taken out of and re-added to my zune collection. Now this was expected, but then close to 200 songs didn't survive the journey and are auto deleted from my zune! (:rolleyes:so many memories...:rolleyes:) Now I could've even dealt with this if it wasn't for the fact that I have organized playlists to worry about.:mad: I'm really thinkin of doing what JoeFree said and downgrading my software. Problem is I have no clue how to do that. Any help?

Quick edit: :)No more random deleted-ness!!!!:) After the spring update, everything is running smoothly...