View Full Version : 360 Update to Support DivX

Chris Gohlke
12-01-2007, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx' target='_blank'>http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx</a><br /><br /></div><i>"The Xbox 360 supports files encoded using MPEG-4 Part 2, Simple and Advanced Simple Profile. These files are often referred to as Xvid or DivX® video files. Many common PC DVD authoring tools, cameras, and camcorders are capable of encoding files using MPEG-4. Note that some files authored for DivX devices may also contain additional functionality(menus, subtitles, multiple audio tracks, etc). The Xbox 360 will attempt to play these files, but does not support any of the additional functionality and in some cases will be unable to play the file."</i><br /><br />The above quote is directly from a post by the Xbox team on MSDN. I know lots of people have been waiting for this, so very soon, there should be a lot of happy campers out there.

flooder
12-02-2007, 04:30 AM
I am looking forward to being happy ! :lol:

Felix Torres
12-02-2007, 03:55 PM
A point to consider:
The 360 has two media playback applications and they work differently:
DiVX playback support is via the Dashboard Media Player *not* the Media Center Extender client.
Which means you can stream it via UPnP/AV (Windows Media Player/Zune/Connect360, whatever) or play it via DVD-ROM, or USB-mass storage Drives, but *not* using the Media Center Client.
Shouldn't be much of an issue since a Media Center PC can also stream via UPnP/AV, but it does mean you have to set up *both* connections.

Carry on with the celebrations, guys... :)

flooder
12-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Shouldn't be much of an issue since a Media Center PC can also stream via UPnP/AV, but it does mean you have to set up *both* connections.

Is there a good tutorial or app for this. There seem to be tons of apps but few refer to VISTA and I don't have time to mess with this a ton, probably the reason I don't have it working yet.

flooder
12-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Found it easier than I thought.

If anyone else is as lazy as I am here is an unfinished wiki. It was enough to get me started down the right path.

http://www.xboxmediacenter.com/wiki/index.php?title=UPnP_Sharing#.5BUNDERCONSTRUCTION.5D_Vista_.28or_WINXP.29_.2B_Windows_Media_Player_11_Configuration

hang5lngbd
12-05-2007, 10:55 PM
My xbox 360 can finally do what my hacked xbox has been able to do for 5 years.

I have been eagerly anticipating this release as I bought an xbox360 with video being it's primary purpose. So much better than using Orb -> xbox360 transcoding. The picture quality is perfect, and everything is quick and easy. Easy enough for my grandma to watch her House reruns stored on my server.

However, since enabling the "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service," when I play videos ON MY VISTA COMPUTER they are now slow and choppy. Anybody else notice this? Any fixes? maybe using a different player besides WMP11 would help?