View Full Version : Will XP Keywords transfer/upgrade to Vista?

shutterbug
11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi,

Looking into the best way to organize our digital pictures. Trying to keep this simple (ha!) by using Windows Explorer keywords field. Before we go to all the work of adding keywords to our digital pictures we would like to know if these transfer or upgrade to Vista. Do the keywords (XP) now appear in the tags (Vista) field? We would hate to lose all our keywords and hard work.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Jason Dunn
11-02-2007, 04:51 PM
I not very familiar with how XP used keywords, and I don't have any XP computers handy to test it. I suspect it would work though. If you wanted to test it out, you could give me a link to a picture you have with keywords and I could see what Vista's Photo Gallery thinks of it. :-)

shutterbug
11-02-2007, 08:39 PM
Hi Jason,

Thank you for your offer to help with testing the keywords in Vista. Here is a file http://www.4shared.com/file/28127117/8ac6bdc6/IMG_1245.html with the keywords: squash, farmer's market
These keywords were set up in XP by right clicking on the file, selecting the Properties tab and typing them into the Keywords field. The keywords can be seen from the link by clicking on more EXIF properties (to the right) and then under Windows XP keywords in the bottom right column.

Let me know how these keywords display in Vista. Are the "keywords" called "tags" in Vista? Are the keywords/tags searchable?

Thanks again!

Jason Dunn
12-13-2007, 05:36 PM
Thank you for your offer to help with testing the keywords in Vista. Here is a file...

I apologize for not getting back to you on this - there's a bug with 4smartphone and our forums so I don't get thread reply notifications, and I forgot to come back and check this thread.

I looked at your file, and there's no EXIF data at all in it - I think the upload process strips the EXIF data, even though it displays the EXIF data on the site. Smugmug does exactly the same thing.

Just email me the file: my first name at digital media thoughts dot com.