View Full Version : Insignificant Thoughts Covers Digital Life 2007

Suhit Gupta
10-01-2007, 02:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.insignificantthoughts.com/2007/09/28/digital-life-2007/' target='_blank'>http://www.insignificantthoughts.com/2007/09/28/digital-life-2007/</a><br /><br /></div><i>"My bud Jose and I went down to Javits today to catch Digital Life 2007. It’s an annual show meant to highlight products for those of us interested in the “digital lifestyle” meaning there’s some kind of tech product throughout the show to help make your mundane non-digital life more digital. All in all, a geek like me should totally be within my element there, but I have to say the show was massively disappointing. First of all, the show didn’t even take up the entire main hall of the Javits center. That in itself was ridiculous to me. I can only imagine what they were charging exhibitors because a parade of people paying to see your products and only seeing half a convention center sends a bad message: that companies aren’t interested. That, of course brings me to my second point: No one showed. Here’s what we saw… Microsoft, Intel, Logitech, HP, Nokia and Toshiba were the big names there."</i><br /><br />I remember going to Digital Life every year when I was in New York but it really did feel like a declining slope year over year with declining vendors and visitors. I remember when PC World used to be absolutely jam packed about 8 years ago. I guess with blogs, email blasts, and RSS, having trade shows is not as useful to consumers. Anyways, our friends over at Insignificant Thoughts visited the show and have a full report. My favorite is IZ3d's new 3D display for gaming. Cool!

Chris Gohlke
10-01-2007, 04:00 PM
Is insignificant thoughts the rebellious cousin to the Thoughts Media Network? :D

lmychajluk
10-01-2007, 06:44 PM
I went there yesterday as well. $15 for 2 hours of walking the showroom floor, 1/2 of that spent trying to find what I was missing. The HP, Toshiba, and Logitech booths were OK, but other than a demo on a GPS logger and how it works w/ Google Earth to put pics on a map, there was not much to see.

Jason Dunn
10-01-2007, 09:05 PM
Is insignificant thoughts the rebellious cousin to the Thoughts Media Network? :D

Nah, it's just a domain name that Vincent subconsciously picked because he wanted to get my attention. ;-)

Vincent Ferrari
10-01-2007, 09:21 PM

I always thought it was funny that I gravitated toward Jason's sites out of all the others out there with relatively similar content seeing as we shared a thought, so to speak, on a name :-)

Jeremy Charette
10-02-2007, 05:05 PM
Ditto what Vincent said. I went on Thursday morning during press hours. It took me a total of 10 minutes to circle the floor. Nothing to see.

It was depressing. No real innovation, and makes me think that the money in the tech business is dwindling.

Janak Parekh
10-07-2007, 06:28 AM
I actually skipped it this year given what I saw last year, and it sounds like I didn't miss much other than Palm's Yet Another PalmOS (Yawn!) Device. I guess that fits in with the whole thing. ;)

Suhit: you were referring to PC EXPO in its heyday. That was some show in the mid-to-late 90s. The entire main floor and entire second floor were taken, and part of a third floor was. It would take two days to get around the entire thing. I do miss it a little. :cry: Mind you, this is not unique to NY; COMDEX also utterly collapsed, too. The veteran consumer electronics shows have survived better, but alas, they're not in the NY area.

--janak