View Full Version : Reading Dual-layer DVD+Rs in a -R recorder...

Don Tolson
09-12-2007, 12:30 AM
Just had an interesting (and fun) thing happen the other day that I thought I would share with everyone.

I have an older Toshiba RDXS-32 DVR which is rated for DVD, DVD-RAM and DVD-R, DVD-RW (note, not +R). It's been working fine playing the videos I produce on DVD-Rs for the last couple of years. (Just have to be careful not to burn too fast!)

Over the last week, I've been working on a collection project of my son's school band concerts which ended up to be about 4 hours long. Hmmm, THAT's not going to fit on a DVD-R, but it would fit on a dual-layer. Only problem is, I can't find any dual layer -R's around town, only +R's.

Oh well, I burnt off a +R DL of the project using Nero, and tried in my computer's DVD drive -- no problem. Then, I took it upstairs and tried in my Toshiba. Lo and behold -- it worked! I couldn't believe it. I thought there was no way a +R disk would work in a -R drive, but I guess, because I had written it in Nero in the DVD-Video format, it was readable by the Toshiba! This was great. Not that I'm planning to regularly produce 4-hour home videos, but at least I know that it will work for me.

Jason Dunn
11-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Huh. Go figure! :D I haven't had to think about -R or +R factors in a very long time, which is a great thing...