View Full Version : I Lost My Grandfather Last Night

Jason Dunn
08-09-2007, 01:29 AM
I'm typing this sitting at a Starbucks in Penticton, British Columbia. On Sunday night I received a phone call from my sister telling me that my grandfather was suffering from kidney and liver cancer, and was near death. This came as a complete shock to everyone - a few weeks ago he was healthy and walking around. Ashley and I got on a plane and flew to BC Monday afternoon, and got to see him open his eyes and acknowledge we were there. Last night, while I was holding his hand, he passed away - his lungs filled with fluid and his heart stopped. I've never experienced death in such a direct manner before, so it was an experience unlike anything else - and likely something I'll be exploring on my personal blog in the future. We're going to stay in Penticton until the funeral on Saturday, then we'll be heading home.

I have no connectivity unless I walk over to the nearby shopping mall and pay $8 for an hour of online access ($13 for the day) so if I don't respond to email messages or forum posts, that's why. I'll likely be back on Sunday night and returning to work Monday morning.

Chris Gohlke
08-09-2007, 01:50 AM
My condolences to you and your family.

Suhit Gupta
08-09-2007, 03:11 AM
I am so sorry to hear that. My sincerest condolences.

Suhit

David Horn
08-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Jason, I'm so sorry to hear that. My own grandfather died two months ago after suffering from prostate cancer for many years. It was a huge shock to me and to be honest I think I'm still getting over it now.

jeffd
08-09-2007, 02:44 PM
My condolences. I had a hard enough time with my grand fathers funeral, I don't think I could imagine being next to him when he passed.

The Yaz
08-09-2007, 03:05 PM
My condolences to you and your family at this time.

Jonathon Watkins
08-09-2007, 10:02 PM
Very sorry to hear that Jason. How is everyone bearing up?