View Full Version : WiFi: Bad For Your Health?

Jason Dunn
05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/13048/is_wi-fi_bad_for_your_health' target='_blank'>http://news.digitaltrends.com/news/story/13048/is_wi-fi_bad_for_your_health</a><br /><br /></div><i>"A BBC television show has found elevated levels of radiation in a school using Wi-Fi, prompting a debate about the safety of wi-fi. But is it all just hype? We all know the benefits of Wi-Fi broadband – the ability to check your e-mail in a hotspot or use your laptop anywhere at home, for instance – but a British television program has contended that Wi-Fi could be dangerous to your health. But is it all a storm in a teacup? The BBC Panorama show tested radiation levels in English one school equipped with Wi-Fi and found them to be three times that of radiation emitted by cell phone masts. That’s prompted a debate about the long-term safety of Wi-Fi, although it’s still 600 times lower that the radiation safety levels issued by the British government."</i><br /><br />There's always some new way we're going to get killed (slowly or quickly) it seems, and today it's the slow burn of WiFi signals. I <i>have</i> wondered about this rash since I swapped in a new router... :lol: Like most stories of this type, the reality is always different than the headline. The article goes on to say that there's the same amount of radio waves coming from a WiFi hot-spot over the course of a year as there is coming from a cell phone over the course of a 20 minute phone call. I'm fine with that statistic - I live in a WiFi hotspot year-round (most of us do I'd imagine), but I'm not on my mobile phone every day. Those things will kill you! ;-)

Doug Johnson
05-31-2007, 10:38 PM
One would think that microwave ovens pose much more risk, as they use the same radio frequency band and most likely put out higher doses of radiation than WiFi radios do. I would have thought this matter would have been researched years ago.

Jason Dunn
05-31-2007, 10:39 PM
One would think that microwave ovens pose much more risk

Absolutely - and that's why, to this day, I don't step one foot inside a microwave.

:lol: