View Full Version : 4 Out of 6 Prefer the Sound of the Zune Over the iPod

Damion Chaplin
05-24-2007, 02:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.cliczune.com/2007/05/audio_quality_r.html' target='_blank'>http://www.cliczune.com/2007/05/audio_quality_r.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Which one is better? The Zune or the iPod? Difficult to say but CNET-Crave found a way to avoid fan bias. They did a simple "Coke-Pepsi challenge" with people in the street. Participants had to listen to each player and tell them which one sounds the best. Of course, just like the old "Coke-Pepsi challenge", they didn’t know what player they were listening to. Results of the test: iPod: 2 and Zune: 4. So, based on a very small number of people, the Zune has a much better sound quality."</i><br /><br /><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KmSzRV7ET94" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed><br /><br />I'm sorry guys, but I would really be more impressed if you had asked more than 6 people on this one. I mean, really. :roll: I know more than 6 people who would vote for the Zune just because it's not an Apple product. So while I applaud the 'blind' test from people on the street, let's have a little wider sampling next time.<br /><br />So, what about you? Which player do you find has the best sound? iPod? Zune? Some other Creative endeavour? Let's hear what you think!

ctmagnus
05-24-2007, 04:40 AM
imo it boils down to the headphones or speakers used.

Filip Norrgard
05-24-2007, 08:47 AM
IMO, they've should have 1) used the same color of "sock" (if that's what that funky protective sleeve was) instead of two different colors, 2) a wider sampling, as Damion mentioned. :)

It does depend a lot on the headphones, but since they've used the same one for testing the Zune and the iPod, I think it should be negligible.

From my own testing, it seems like the iPod mini (the only iPod I've had some access to) does have a bit worse sound than my Nokia N91 when listening to the same song using the same headphones. But that might just be me being biased without knowing it. :D

RichL
05-24-2007, 09:18 AM
I've tried a lot of mp3 players but without a doubt the best sounding I've heard are the ones from Sony. They're miles ahead of Apple, Microsoft, Creative et al.

It's a shame that Sony insist on using SonicStage. :(

Vincent Ferrari
05-24-2007, 12:52 PM
I wonder of "no difference" was given as an option. The reason I ask is that often if you're made to choose between one or the other, you'll pick one regardless of whether or not you actually hear a difference.

I have no doubt that the Zune actually sounded better to some people, but for 99% of the population who rips their songs into 128k MP3's, that difference in sound quality is barely perceptible if at all.

Jason Dunn
05-24-2007, 02:10 PM
I like the idea of this - a blind test on the street - but Damion is right, six people is a very low sample number. Couldn't they have made it to ten or fifteen? I don't doubt that the Zune sounds better than the iPod though.

jeffd
05-24-2007, 03:02 PM
ditto on the not enough samples claim. 6 people who just picked one or the other even though they thought it sounded the same could throw it off.

craigf
05-30-2007, 10:14 PM
This is basic statistical sampling. Not only do they need way more than 6 people, they need to make sure they're playing the same part of the same song on each device using the same headphones and randomizing the order (iPod first half the time, Zune first the rest). If they aren't doing _all_ of that, the results are entirely useless. Even my undergraduates know that. :?