View Full Version : Amazon to Open DRM-Free Music Store

Damion Chaplin
05-17-2007, 12:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/05/16/amazon-drm-free-music-store_1.html' target='_blank'>http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/05/16/amazon-drm-free-music-store_1.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Amazon.com will open an online music store whose songs will not carry copy-protection technology, the Seattle e-tailer announced Wednesday, confirming a move that had recently been rumored. The company said it will launch the music store "later this year" without providing additional timetable details. But whenever it opens, it will enter a market currently dominated by Apple's iTunes. The Amazon.com store will sell songs without digital rights management (DRM) technology in MP3 format from EMI Music and about 12,000 other music labels, Amazon.com said. Buyers will be able to play the songs in a variety of devices, including Windows PCs, Mac OS computers, and iPod and Zune devices, Amazon.com said. They will also be able to burn songs to CDs. Amazon didn't provide any pricing details for the store's inventory of songs and albums."</i><br /><br />This is great news, but ordering physical CDs from Amazon is so freakin' easy, I'm not sure I would ever buy the files instead. What would be cool is if they give you access to the digital files when you buy the CD. That way you can buy the physical CD and still have that instant gratification that comes with downloading music while waiting for the CD to arrive. Now if they'd only start offering DRM-free TV show downloads. :)

Tim Williamson
05-17-2007, 12:52 AM
What would be cool is if they give you access to the digital files when you buy the CD. That way you can buy the physical CD and still have that instant gratification that comes with downloading music while waiting for the CD to arrive.

DING DING DING winnAr!!! I'd buy all my CD's from them if they allowed this.

ale_ers
05-17-2007, 02:21 PM
If the catalog grows large enough, I would consider buying all my tracks @ Amazon. I like the a-la-carte shopping that single track downloads offers, but I like the flxability of no DRM too.

I think they could have a winner here. This is about the only way to compete, offer tracks that both ipod and the rest of the world can use.

aroma
05-17-2007, 03:30 PM
It's all a big trick! Amazon may not use DRM, but they'll be using HBO's new DCE! :) (j/k)

Jason Dunn
05-17-2007, 05:12 PM
I buy 99% of my CDs from Amazon, so this is a natural progression...assuming that they offer it in Canada before I die mind you. Although, you know, if there's really no DRM than I should be able to shop from Amazon.com and just buy it myself. Woo hoo! :D