View Full Version : Amazon.com Purchases Uber-Camera Site DPREVIEW.COM

Jason Dunn
05-15-2007, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07051402amazonacquiresdpreview.asp' target='_blank'>http://www.dpreview.com/news/0705/07051402amazonacquiresdpreview.asp</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Leading online retailer Amazon.com today announced it has acquired <a href="www.dpreview.com">www.dpreview.com</a>, the web’s most comprehensive site for digital camera information and reviews. Founded in 1998 by Phil Askey, dpreview.com provides unbiased reviews and original content regarding the latest in digital cameras, and offers a host of features and forums designed to make it easy for consumers to find the camera that’s right for them. With its unique voice and in-depth technical reviews, dpreview.com draws millions of unique visitors each month. “Dpreview.com is by far the most authoritative source anywhere for straight talk about new digital cameras,” said Jeff Bezos, founder and CEO of Amazon.com. “We at Amazon.com have been their fans for a long time, and we extend a big welcome to the dpreview.com team.”"</i><br /><br />Wow. 8O This is quite the big news in the camera world! DPREVIEW.com is among the top digital camera review sites in the world (I'd say it's #1 in my book), and being acquired by Amazon.com is a big step for them. As a small business owner running several Web sites myself, I can sympathize with Phil when we talks about how hard it is to devote time to both improving the site but still trying to crank out reviews - it's impossible to do both, so you struggle to do a bit of everything and keep everyone happy. Will this have an impact on the objectivity of DPREVIEW.com? I don't think it will, but only time will tell for sure...

Filip Norrgard
05-15-2007, 09:11 PM
Wow! 8O

I hope that whatever the consequences of this deal, that the positive results will outweigh the negative. And, that the reviews will continue to be the same excellent quality as I've come to expect from DPreview. :)

jeffd
05-15-2007, 09:46 PM
I'm a steves camera reviews fan myself, but then he allways gets the canon cameras I want. ;)

Jonathon Watkins
05-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Very odd, but I'm hopeful the reviews will continue to be as high quality. After all, Amazon sells all cameras - so what do they care if brand x is better than brand y.