View Full Version : Toshiba, Matsu****a Bringing OLED to TVs

Suhit Gupta
04-13-2007, 07:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.digitaltrends.com/article12666.html' target='_blank'>http://news.digitaltrends.com/article12666.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Toshiba and Matsu****a have announced they plan to introduce organic light-emitting diode (OLED) panels for use in televisions within three years via a joint venture, Toshiba Matsu****a Display Technology Company, (TMD). The joint venture has introduced a 20.8-inch OLED display panel, and aims to begin commercial production of OLED panels for flat-screen televisions by 2009. TMD says the 20.8-inch panel represents the world's largest screen size for polymer-type OLED displays. The company had previously built a 17-inch panel in April 2002, but has since focused on 2- to 3.5-inch OLED panels for use in mobile phones and other portable devices. The 20.8-inch panel offers a resolution of 1,280 by 768 pixels (WXGA) and handles 16.7 million colors. No specifications on contrast, brightness, or refresh rates have been released, but such specs wouldn't necessarily be indicative of OLED displays to be released in three years' time."</i><br /><br />The authors of this article correctly point out that OLED displays consume very little power, provide wide viewing angles, thin profiles, and high contrast. But from what I understand, one of the advantages of OLED displays is to have extremely thin display screens. I can only hope that this would mean that flat panels are only going to get thinner. Oooh! Maybe truly like a painting in a frame.

Felix Torres
04-13-2007, 07:15 PM
Theoretically, an OLED display can be cardboard thin.
No backlight or anything; its just a plate with wires. (More or less. ;-) )
Downside, though, is a doozy:
The prganic LEDs have a finite lifetime and degrade over time as a function of their brightness. The challenge in making big OLED panels is that the bigger they get, the brighter they need to be and the shorter the life-span. Research is still ongoing.

Still, you gotta like OLED's chances better than SED's... ;-)

Suhit Gupta
04-13-2007, 11:46 PM
From what I heard last, the life was around 3-4 years. Is that what you heard?

Suhit