View Full Version : Goodies from Intel Canada: Two CPUs and a Motherboard

Jason Dunn
03-13-2007, 07:19 AM
http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/intel-press-kit.JPG

Know what that is? An Intel D975XBX motherboard, with an E6700 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU already mounted on the motherboard. The E6700 runs at 2.66 Ghz and boasts a 4 MB cache. And sitting atop the heatsink on the left is an even more powerful processor: the much-heralded Intel Core 2 Duo Extreme X6800 CPU clocking in at 2.93 Ghz, also with a 4 MB cache. Intel Canada was kind enough to send me these parts for a project I’m working on, which is starting to come together as more parts arrive. Stay tuned, it’s going to make any real geek weak in the knees!

Vincent Ferrari
03-13-2007, 05:26 PM
Doesn't it seem like a thousand years ago that Intel was behind AMD in chip innovation? 8O

Jason Dunn
03-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Doesn't it seem like a thousand years ago that Intel was behind AMD in chip innovation? 8O

Indeed - Intel has been ahead for a while now, and AMD seems like they are unable to respond. Their QuadFX play is pure desperation...Intel has a solid lock on the performance crown for now. That might change, but Intel really woke up and put a lot of effort into performance, which is great for all of us.

Vincent Ferrari
03-14-2007, 02:03 PM
I think the worst part, though, is that Intel is so far ahead that AMD is just an also-ran now. The one thing driving Intel was that AMD was ahead. I don't see AMD having the financial resources of an Intel when it comes time to "throw money at the problem and catch up."

Who knows. Maybe that intervening couple of years where AMD was smacking Intel around like Ike smacked Tina may actually have awakened a giant.

Jeremy Charette
03-14-2007, 06:35 PM
Two points:

1) AMD still offers far more bang for the buck than Intel. You can get a dual-core AMD CPU for $85, cheapest dual-core Intel I've seen runs at least double that. Not to mention AMD motherboards are typically cheaper as well.

2) Don't underestimate the underdog. The company I worked for last year was in talks to have a major investment or stake purchased by AMD, as well as several other companies. The problem with these ever-smaller fabrication techniques is this: how do you inspect? Check for quality defects? This is exactly why the PS3 was delayed, because the technology to QC check the Cell processor and the ram was delayed. Even now, it isn't that great, which is why we saw such a high rate of "unofficial reports" of Xbox 360 failures at launch. The company that was producing the GDDR3 ram for the 360 was having problems inspecting it to the required tolerances, so some bad chips went out the door. Estimates put the percentage of bad chips in the initial batches at 30-40%.

AMD is investing in the technology that will allow them to not only keep up with Intel, but probably leap-frog them yet again.

Would I like an Intel Quad CPU? You betcha! But like the rest of you, I'm on a budget, so I'll stick with AMD.