View Full Version : Canon Releases New Line of Cameras for PMA

Jason Dunn
02-26-2007, 07:47 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://news.digitaltrends.com/article12336.html' target='_blank'>http://news.digitaltrends.com/article12336.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Next, Canon has announced two new Digital Elph cameras, the SD750 and SD1000, intended for the tech-savvy and fashion-conscious photographers lurking among us. The cameras feature a new DIGIC III processor offering faster startup, improved image quality, and faster shutter times. The units also sport face detection technology, red-eye correction, ISO sensitivities ranging from 80 to 1600 and sport an Auto ISO Shift feature which can automatically increase ISO sensitivity up to 800 to offsent [sic] camera shake and motion. The SD750 sports a 3-inch LCD while the SD1000 offers a 2.5-inch LCD; both cameras offer 7.1 megapixel resolutions and 3× optical zooms—although there's no mention of image stabilization tehcnology [sic] in these slim fashion-focused shooters. The SD750 should be available in March at an estimated price of $349.99; the SD1000 should go for about $299.99."</i><br /><br />We've already talked about the new Canon EOS-1D Mark III, and this Digital Trends article covers the rest. The SD750 and SD1000 confuse me a bit though - it seems that neither have any sort of image stabilization, which make them dubious upgrades depending on what kind of Canon camera you have now. It looks like neither of these is an upgrade over the <a href="http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,11613">SD800</a>.

Jerry Raia
02-26-2007, 07:56 PM
I have read on various sites the the Image Stabilization on the SD800 has caused people more problems with bad images than it has solved. While I haven't noticed any of these issues myself perhaps Canon decided it wasn't worth having it.

Jason Dunn
02-26-2007, 07:58 PM
I have read on various sites the the Image Stabilization on the SD800 has caused people more problems with bad images than it has solved.

Really? That's baffling - I've never had any problems with it. I wonder what/how they were doing it...

Vincent Ferrari
02-26-2007, 08:45 PM
It's at the point now where the SD800 is almost my ONLY camera and I have yet to have one lick of trouble with the IS.

Sorry, I ain't buyin' it.

Jerry Raia
02-27-2007, 12:25 AM
Yeah me either. Not sure what the issues exactly were. Since I never have had any as you guys haven't I didn't really look into it.

Lee Yuan Sheng
02-27-2007, 01:31 AM
Maybe your average user doesn't know how to best use IS; it's not a magic after al. =P

Vincent Ferrari
02-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Maybe your average user doesn't know how to best use IS; it's not a magic after al. =P

It's pretty close to it... In my review, I had it on for one of the handheld shots and I know for a fact there's no way that pic would've turned out without it.

I have seen people who think IS makes it easier to shoot your 2-year old kid running around the house only to find out that it doesn't help motion blur, only hand shake.

My guess is that's the problem they're having and they're misunderstanding what IS is meant to do in the first place.

Jerry Raia
02-27-2007, 06:01 PM
My guess is that's the problem they're having and they're misunderstanding what IS is meant to do in the first place.

I think that is most likely the case.

robert_biggs
02-28-2007, 09:13 PM
I don't understand the naming of the SD1000. The SD750 is a logical upgrade to the SD630. But the SD1000 looks more like an upgrade to the SD600. SD650 would have been a more appropriate name. SD1000 sounds like it should be better spec-wise then the SD800 or SD900 (which it is not). I agree that the SD800 is probably the best ultacompact digital camera on the market.