View Full Version : Kodak Enters the Inkjet Printer Market, Offers $10 Ink

Jason Dunn
02-07-2007, 08:30 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/06/kodak_desktop_printer/index.html' target='_blank'>http://www.tgdaily.com/2007/02/06/kodak_desktop_printer/index.html</a><br /><br /></div><i>"Kodak today announced its plans to launch a series of inkjet printers next month, officially entering the race currently dominated by HP, Canon, and Lexmark, after years of talking about the possibility of getting into the printer market. Kodak plans to make its mark in the business by offering inexpensive ink cartridges that will cost less than half of most of the products currently on store shelves. March will kick off Kodak's new inkjet initiative, with three "All-in-One" printers, each of which will include a scanner and copier and range in price from $150 to $300. According to Kodak, ink cartridges for the new printers will be priced at $10 and $15 for black and color, respectively. These prices are as much as 70% less than what a replacement cartridge would cost for a printer from any of the big companies currently in the market. More cost-effective use of technology would allow Kodak to still earn respectable profits on the ink, according to a company spokesperson."</i><br /><br />Kodak makes decent digital cameras, but do they have the technical ability, and marketing muscle, to succeed in a highly contested market against giants like Epson, Canon, and HP? The cheaper ink is certainly an interesting benefit - I'll be very interested to see what kind of quality the printers will be able to kick out.

Chris Gohlke
02-07-2007, 09:30 PM
I'd also be interested in knowing the capacity of the cartridges. If they don't print as many pages, the value is an illusion.

sundown
02-07-2007, 10:29 PM
IF the capacity is the same, I'd seriously look at buying a Kodak printer. It's not just expensive, it pisses me off every time I have to buy ink and makes me go out of my way to avoid using my printer.

leslietroyer
02-08-2007, 01:47 PM
using generic Cannon cartridges -- last time I bought was less than $5/cartridge. So $10 is only better if I get twice the life or better quality printing.

The Bottom line is $$/page. My printers usually last ~2 years, and I print about a half a ream a month (two teenagers doing homework) + 5-10 photos/month. So this is what I use when I pick a new printer. Also with three printers in the house - It was much easier when they used the same ink.

Les