View Full Version : Philips digital photo frame

Jon H
01-14-2007, 03:49 PM
Anyone out there managed to get a Philips Photo Frame (http://www.consumer.philips.com/photoframe/index.html) working on XP?

I've got XP Media Center Edition and my Photo Frame model 7FF1M4/05 won't work on it. Specifically, when connected to the PC's USB and powered-up, Windows pops up a hardware wizard which, on being told to go search the Microsoft site, fails to find the requisite "PrUSB Mass Storage Class" driver. No drivers of any sort are included on the Photo Frame install CD.

When I asked Philips about this, they said that XP MCE wasn't supported but plain XP was! What a load of crap! How can a multimedia build of XP be less capable than the base product? I suspect Philips are being clueless, though: it didn't help that their email started "You asked us about your hard drive ...". :roll: Oh, and when I asked Microsoft they just shrugged and told me to go ask my PC manufacturer. Great, thanks guys.

So ... I'd like to find the drivers and get this thing working. If any of you have the Photo Frame working on your XP (any variant) box, then could you please tell me: the XP variant (home, professional, MCE, whatever)
the Photo Frame model nr (e.g. 7FF1M4/05)
what the Device Manager says about the drivers (listed under "Other devices" -- at least mine is)I can't wait to see if the driver is a Philips one or an MS one. I think I'll be mightily pissed off with the vendor, whichever it is. :evil:

Thanks.

Jason Dunn
01-15-2007, 05:45 PM
That's really bizarre - mass storage drivers are usually very basic and work fine. I've certainly never heard of a driver working under XP and not working under MCE...

sbonneau
01-25-2007, 08:00 PM
Jon,

Did you ever get the driver. I'm having the exact same issue.

Thanks

Steve

Jon H
01-26-2007, 07:58 PM
Hi Steve, no I never did get the driver. I'm surprised that no-one here has been able to help. I bet this post has been read by people who could give the driver info I asked for; perhaps they think I'm trying to be an 3vil h4ck3r or something :twisted:

Maybe Philips weren't just fobbing me off after all with their statement that Windows MCE isn't supported. So I've given up now and returned the gadget to the shop.

Jon H
01-26-2007, 11:10 PM
Okaaayyy... took it back to the shop, they plugged it in (no install or anything) and it worked first time on their XP MCE machine.

I've seen people saying on other forums that uninstalling and reinstalling USB drivers (poss. just the Mass Storage Class driver?) is the way to go in situations like this. Either that or do some mad hackery on USBSTOR.INF . Anyone got some advice on tricks like that ...? Ta.

Jon H
08-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Got it. Tell the Found New Hardware wizard to search in c:\windows\inf. My computer came with the wizard configured to look elsewhere. Stupid!