View Full Version : Vacation Question 1 - SLR or Point and Shoot?

Suhit Gupta
01-15-2007, 07:00 PM
It is only January and I already miss the holidays. This past vacation was wonderful. Not only did I get a chance to be back in (warm) New York but I got to spent a week at Disney World (yes, the real one in Orlando, Florida) -- my very first visit. While I was there, I started to think of a few questions that I figured would be perfect for the DMT audience. So here's Question #1:

Disney is one of those parks that not only has a lot of spots where you can (and want to) take your time get those perfect shots - the Castle, fireworks everyday, Mickey's hat at MGM - but there are also tons and tons of opportunities for action shots. The latter includes any one of the numerous shows, the numerous rides. And this problem is not really limited to Disney alone, it could be attributed to a number of vacation spots (I'd dare say most). However, one wants to always be mobile and light when on vacation and not lugg around a large camera, a host of lenses, multiple batteries, and other camera stuff. Then of course, it is the big DSLRs that are the versatile ones and can take all the great shots, but the point-and-shoot cameras are the ones that are totally mobile (put it in your pocket and go).

http://www.digitalmediathoughts.com/images/which_camera.jpg

So here is my question - what kind of camera do you choose to take on vacation? I know that the default answer from most is going to be - it depends on the situation. But I wonder if it goes beyond that? I see carrying my DSLR for situations where I am guaranteed to be stationary for a large amount of time, but the rest of the time, I can only justify a Point and Shoot. So even if you lugg both cameras in your suitcase, does the Point and Shoot always win out for a day to day outing?

Jerry Raia
01-15-2007, 07:05 PM
The only time I wouldn't carry the DSLR around was if it would be in physical danger, like a rough ride (not to many there really) at Disney. Otherwise, I'd have them both with me.

Vincent Ferrari
01-15-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm with Jerry. 9 times out of ten, I have both. It only makes sense :-)

Plan out your day accordingly and take the appropriate camera with you. I'd highly recommend using your SLR at night though, lest you miss a great firework shot.

And carry a Gorillapod... They're amazing!

flooder
01-15-2007, 08:33 PM
This very question is going through my mind right now.

My wife and I are planning on joining a tour group of SWI, Germany and Austria and I am trying to figure out what I am going to carry to be efficient and yet not have all the luggage.

My guess is SLR all the time and no point and shoots.

I am glad that I decided to reply to this thread, cause I saw the mention of the Gorillapod. I need to check up on that some more.

Jason Dunn
01-15-2007, 10:37 PM
A great question! When deciding which cameras to bring, I think of it this way:

1) Am I going out for the day with the primary goal of seeing new sights and capturing memories? I bring the DSLR (and the P&S for video).

or

2) Am I going out for dinner, or for a walk, with the primary goal of spending time with someone else I want to capture memories with that person? Then I bring the pocket point and shoot.

When going on vacation, I always bring both, then each outing I make the decision regarding which camera to bring.

rlobrecht
01-16-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm with everyone else. We carry both.

bcre8v2
01-16-2007, 01:25 AM
To each their own preference, but take the GorillaPod!
(Oh, and take both cameras) :D
(We mounted our point-shoot on the car in the Pirates and on the handle of the car @ the GM test track - EPCOT) - WOW! - The video was cool.
The SLR was for composed shots or @ night.

Tim Williamson
01-16-2007, 03:13 AM
While we're on the subject, what's a decent point-and-shoot camera these days? One that's slim enough to fit in pants pockets.

I currently have a Kodak LS series (if my memory serves me right) but it's too fat to fit in a pocket (unless I wear cargo pants).

Jerry Raia
01-16-2007, 03:15 AM
Well I have to say I have no complaints with my SD800 IS. I think it's a great P&S camera. It's a cargo pants device though.

Suhit Gupta
01-16-2007, 03:40 AM
Hmm, I see that almost everyone is saying that they carry both. But what if you are going onto a roller coaster or just for a night on the town. I just can't see carrying a DSLR in situations like that. Unless you guys disagree?

Suhit

Jerry Raia
01-16-2007, 03:45 AM
Hmm, I see that almost everyone is saying that they carry both. But what if you are going onto a roller coaster or just for a night on the town. I just can't see carrying a DSLR in situations like that. Unless you guys disagree?

Suhit

No thats when the P&S would be it for me. You can't risk the DSLR on the coaster or explain it on the night out.

Jeremy Charette
01-16-2007, 03:51 AM
I've never owned a DSLR, but my vote will always be for a point and shoot. A super slim, pocketable point and shoot. I'm on vacation to enjoy myself, and create great memories, not great pictures. A good P&S will convey the mood and atmosphere well enough for me to share with others.

twill - I have the LS753, and I agree. It's too huge to be truly pocketable. My next purchase will be a Fuji Z3. It's just about the smallest and fastest camera on the market today, with a sizable LCD screen, and some pretty advanced image processing features. Startup is 0.6 seconds, and time to first photo is right around 1 second. The startup on the LS753 kills me, I can't stand it.

Jerry Raia
01-16-2007, 03:56 AM
I've never owned a DSLR, but my vote will always be for a point and shoot. A super slim, pocketable point and shoot. I'm on vacation to enjoy myself, and create great memories, not great pictures. A good P&S will convey the mood and atmosphere well enough for me to share with others.

I used to feel just like that. I only had P&S for years. Then the DSLR bug bit me, don't know why. I have to say they are an awful lot of fun. I would never not have a P&S though. They are just too darn practical most of the time when a DSLR would not be.

Suhit Gupta
01-16-2007, 05:42 AM
No thats when the P&S would be it for me. You can't risk the DSLR on the coaster or explain it on the night out.
Hmm I guess this is the point I was getting to. When you leave your hotel room, you have to choose which one you take with you. So if you leave with your DSLR, you'd better hope there are not unexpected situations where you will want to be mobile. And if you leave with the P&S, you will need to come back to your room (or place place residence) in order to pick up the DSLR. It just seems highly inefficient to me. :-(

Suhit

Jerry Raia
01-16-2007, 05:59 AM
I've been in exactly that situation too. Stuck with the DSLR around my neck. I just dealt with it. I think if I had a nice camera bag though it would have been a lot easier. As it was I had the bare camera with a good sized lens on it. :lol:

Philip Colmer
01-16-2007, 09:21 AM
We currently just have a DSLR but, with planning for an Orlando holiday in progress, we are now considering purchasing a P&S as a quick and easy camera to use for those situations when we don't want to lug the DSLR around.

So I'd like to chime in & repeat the question that has already been asked: any recommendations? I'm after something that is readily pocketable, reasonably high pixel count, low noise, reasonable optical zoom, reasonable feature count if possible.

To answer the original question, I'm currently thinking DSLR for places like Epcot & Animal Kingdom, where the going is perhaps a bit slower, and P&S for everything else.

--Philip

leslietroyer
01-16-2007, 02:02 PM
Our family is planning a trip to Mexaco in April -- Our current digital is a Canon S2IS -- which is rather large. Based on previous outings, the big camera offen got left in the room so we would be more mobile. For this trip I purchased a Canon SD600 and waterproof case. Now i can slip the camera in my pocket and not lug around something BIG. Also with the waterproof case, I can take it to the beach, snorkeling, swimming with the dolphins........

LEs

Suhit Gupta
01-16-2007, 04:25 PM
To answer the original question, I'm currently thinking DSLR for places like Epcot & Animal Kingdom, where the going is perhaps a bit slower, and P&S for everything else.

--Philip
So I ended up using a P&S, the Fuji FinePix F30 in all 4 parks. Basically, I didn't want to 1) lugg a heavy camera for 7 days since I was going to be walking around so much in any case; and 2) find it to be infeasible to have a DSLR in some of those roller coasters.

However, now that I have been there, while reason 1 still holds completely true, I don't think reason 2 does. Most of the rides are pretty calm, and for the wilder ones, there are pouches in front of you within your seat that can hold a small bag. My girlfriend and I actually carried a very small Nike backpack thing which we either put in the pouch or she held with her feet during the rides. So a DSLR is feasible in Disney as long as you are willing to carry it around all day (which could be quite annoying).

Suhit

PS - Make sure to take a plastic bag to cover it on all the water based rides. :)

Suhit Gupta
01-16-2007, 04:28 PM
Our family is planning a trip to Mexaco in April -- Our current digital is a Canon S2IS -- which is rather large. Based on previous outings, the big camera offen got left in the room so we would be more mobile. For this trip I purchased a Canon SD600 and waterproof case. Now i can slip the camera in my pocket and not lug around something BIG. Also with the waterproof case, I can take it to the beach, snorkeling, swimming with the dolphins........
This makes so much sense to me. I am becoming more and more convinced that P&S is the way to go. While carrying the DSLR to the vacation spot is great, I would probably carry the P&S by default on a day-to-day basis and then switch to the DSLR is a particularly great photo opportunity presented itself, and I had the option of coming back to switch cameras.

Suhit

Jason Dunn
01-16-2007, 04:56 PM

BRING both with you on vacation, CARRY the point and shoot for the night on the town or in situations where a DSLR isn't practical (rollar coaster). That's what I do. :wink:

Jason Dunn
01-16-2007, 05:03 PM
twill - I have the LS753, and I agree. It's too huge to be truly pocketable. My next purchase will be a Fuji Z3.

Have you read good reviews about the Z3? I was looking at Fuji cameras last year, and the image quality always turned me off - I just didn't think they took good pictures. Check out this gallery:

http://www.pbase.com/cameras/fujifilm/finepix_z3_zoom

Maybe I found the worst examples of what the Z3 can do, but none of those picture impress me.

We're publishing a review of the Canon SD800 soon, be sure to read it. I had a Casio Exilim that was amazingly slim and fast, but it just didn't take great pictures...and ultimately I decided that the thicker SD800 was worth it because it took pictures I didn't have to regret. Something to think about. ;-)

Philip Colmer
01-16-2007, 05:28 PM
We're publishing a review of the Canon SD800 soon, be sure to read it. I had a Casio Exilim that was amazingly slim and fast, but it just didn't take great pictures...and ultimately I decided that the thicker SD800 was worth it because it took pictures I didn't have to regret. Something to think about. ;-)
The SD800 is a model that I'm looking at. One of the things that I like about it, although I'm not entirely sure whether or not it should be a must-have tick box, is that Canon sell underwater cases for it. Weird thing to want, I know.

The review I read of it this morning wasn't entirely glowing, so I'm a little bit apprehensive. I guess that part of the problem is that none of the P&S cameras are without some flaws. They seem to be going a bit like mobile phones and introducing all sorts of fancy features (like video) without actually delivering really strongly on the core competencies.

Shame, really. I think there is definitely a gap for a prosumer-type P&S camera that dosn't do video, does RAW, maybe includes all of the fancy modes (just to make it easy for the P&S fans) but doesn't have high noise levels at ISO speeds that you think ought to be reasonable to use.

--Philip

Jerry Raia
01-16-2007, 06:43 PM
I can't say enough good things about the SD 800.

Philip Colmer
01-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Anyone got any views on the Nikon Coolpix S10?

Or should I post that question to another forum instead of hijacking this one? ;-)

--Philip

craigf
01-17-2007, 08:01 PM
When going on vacation, I always bring both, then each outing I make the decision regarding which camera to bring.

I couldn't have said it better myself. Take both on the trip then decide which to tote along with you based on the type of outing and how "intrusive" you'll allow your photography to be.

And oh yeah...the Canon SD800IS is one heckuva great pocket camera.

***quote trimmed by mod JD***

Magellan
01-17-2007, 08:15 PM
I just bought a Canon A530 which I love. I was looking at SLR's but they were all too pricey for me.

Lotto
01-17-2007, 08:30 PM
I had the same dilemma, with a pending wedding in the near future, should a mother of the bride carry a big camera? I don't think so.

Should I go without? Heck no! So I bought the Canon SD900, and it's small and light. It takes wonderful pictures, but is a bit of a learning curve from my Canon Powershot A40. I then own 2 tripods, a short flexible leg one, and a full size yet portable (which is much heavier than the camera itself). I always keep the short flexible with me and the camera, and choose when and where to take the full size one.

This camera has enough on it to fulfill most any need I have, and it's 10 MP to boot!

Kris Kumar
01-19-2007, 04:54 AM
Good discussion.

I unfortunately don't have a DSLR and a P&S, only a DSLR. I don't mind lugging it around because of this nice case. (http://www.tamrac.com/5746.htm) I highly recommend it to everyone - compact and carries a ton of stuff.

But have been thinking of getting a P&S for parties and get togethers, this discussion thread has convinced me that I should get one soon.

And Canon SD800 will be the number one candidate on my list.

Jerry Raia
01-19-2007, 05:42 AM

You won't be sorry :)

Jason Dunn
01-19-2007, 05:51 AM

Watch for a full review of this camera to be published on Monday AM...

Jeremy Charette
01-19-2007, 06:17 AM
Have you read good reviews about the Z3? I was looking at Fuji cameras last year, and the image quality always turned me off - I just didn't think they took good pictures.

I had a Casio Exilim EX-S2, and my ex-girlfriend still does. It's an amazing little camera, and I've been looking for something to replace it ever since. The photos aren't that great, and it has a tiny LCD screen, but it's so small that I took it with me absolutely everywhere.

The Z3 is about the smallest camera I've seen so far that fits the bill. Good low-light performance, supposedly fast startup, and quick shot to shot time. The SD800 is another contender, though slightly chunkier and heavier than the Z3. Casio's latest Exilim models are sleek, but get poor marks for image quality and speed from most reviewers.

The beauty of living in New York City is that I can head down to J&R Electronics tomorrow, and see every camera on the market in person. And I will. Report back when I know more. :wink: